Pet Peeves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr Mag00

rising member
I didn't know Koala bears did decorating Keith

one of my is when ppl call koalas bears, 'THEY ARE NOT BEARS' they are arboreal marsupials

gavintc

Guru
You could move your training rides to a continual chain gang where the rider at the front is continually changing with a progessing line and a falling line. The rider when he hits the front moves straight across to the slowing line. The benefit to this system is that no one can escape the front, the time on the front is quick, but comes around remarkably frequently.

postman

Legendary Member
What is it with doggie walkers.Did a quick test of my new bottom bracket last night around Eccup res.And why do owners carry plastic bags for shoot.Then drop it by the hedge rows or worse still on the pavement.TAKE IT HOME.And drop the crap on your own lawn.

ChrisKH

Guru
postman said:
What is it with doggie walkers.Did a quick test of my new bottom bracket last night around Eccup res.And why do owners carry plastic bags for shoot.Then drop it by the hedge rows or worse still on the pavement.TAKE IT HOME.And drop the crap on your own lawn.

Or worse, throw the bag in my front garden:angry: Had a spate of late night chuckers who did this and if I had caught them I'm not telling you what I would have done with the bag.

OP
OP
shooter560

shooter560

I will say something first and then see if things change.

His actions do affect the others, mainly those behind him waiting for him to move up only to have him slow up and try and force into the other line to catch a wheel, meaning that those behind who were slowed do have a lot more effort to pull back in line. At one point last night when the pace was high I was 1 back from the front on the rest line and had to jump across to help pull the others back, I don't mind doing this at times as it does help me get fitter (even though 7 months ago I hadn't ridden a bike for 20+ years and suffered a heart attack in Dec 2007) but there are limits and as mentioned its just plain bad ethics to ride in the line and then bail out when its your turn, I'd much rather he just sat at the back and stayed there at least his actions would have less effect.

Will1985 said:
shooter - I might be available this weekend. If I do turn up, point him out and then I suppose we could have some fun.

You are on Will, be good to catch up and also inflict some hard work :becool:

Maz

Guru
My pet peeve is when you get a sticky bit of asphalt grit stuck to your front tyre...clack-clack-clack-clack...no matter how hard you ride, the bugger will not come off. You either have to stop to remove it or reach down to touch the tyre and knock it off.

yenrod

shooter560 said:
We all have pet peeves for when we are out riding, my biggest one was lived out AGAIN tonight, a club ride, 12 or so riders, doing our normal ride 2 lines, on the front till you've had enough etc, and then move over and the next moves up, nice and easy pace chatting with a regular member who has a reputation for doing nothing, anyway he was next in line we spoke and he said how fresh and strong he was feeling and said how easy tonights ride was, so the guy in front moved over and the one I spoke to eased up and forced in behind me rather than take a turn:angry: make matters worse at the end of the ride he is there and comments on how he is improving because he beat so and so to the sign. I have bit my tongue every time he does this but I and others are getting a little pi$$ed off at this behaviour.

Next week I'm going to force the pace from the start and see if I can blow him out or just say something outright in plain language, I wouldn't mind if he wasn't strong but he is just plain lazy.

It takes me ages to warm up on the chainy rides i do and some dont like the way, I by and large, sit on till about a 3rd/halfway round..last night was a typical classic:

Kicked off as per normal by and large but 2 riders just didnt turn up some strong lads too...so it was 10 out i think..we where only tapping out generally about 23mph...i got pissed off, as i was on the 42 ring, went to the front and those that were doing the work (2) were happy to have someone else (obviously) to do the work too...but the situ. on this group ride is that they ride too fast, too soon..instead they should wind it up...throughout the ride.

Shooter 560 - i'd just make a positive joke of it in front of everybody if you feel you can or have a conv. with him alone :becool:

It sounds like a great ride you do at a good pace.

I'm sure you can sort it out.

ChrisKH said:
Or worse, throw the bag in my front garden:angry: Had a spate of late night chuckers who did this and if I had caught them I'm not telling you what I would have done with the bag.

Had a neighbour do this. He'd taken dog out for its evening walk, cleaned up after it and chucked offending bag over the fence into his back garden intending to deal with it the following morning. Unfortunately the bag went a bit too far.

Kudos to him though, a very embarassed knocking on my front door the next morning to retrieve the offending bag. His face was priceless

OP
OP
shooter560

shooter560

Result :biggrin:

The guy tried the exact same trick again today and was promtly ripped a new ar$shole and not from me, but the club ride organiser, not once did he get a ripping but 3 times and by the tea stop he knew it was not acceptable, and he did his turn without much effort.

Mind you on the way back the pace was pushed, maybe I had a liitle to do with it as he was on my wheel but not for too long and he soon accepted that the group works better and faster as a whole rather than having free loaders.

Time will show if his new found way of riding in a group lasts, but fingers crossed (pity as I quite fancied dropping the hammer hard, still nothing stopping me from doing that anyway :wacko:)

Top Bottom