Peter Sagan and the TdF

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I think what Cannondale are missing is an experienced Captain on the Road - their version of, say, Bernie Eisel for Cav at HTC or David Millar for TeamGB in Copenhagen.

With that experience to guide him, Sagan wouldn't have to make all the tactical decisions and could concentrate on his riding and winning.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I nearly laughed fizzy orange through my nose when I read this!
I hate it when that happens - realising that you have run out of fizzy orange when you want to laugh it through your nose! :laugh:
I think what Cannondale are missing is an experienced Captain on the Road - their version of, say, Bernie Eisel for Cav at HTC or David Millar for TeamGB in Copenhagen.

With that experience to guide him, Sagan wouldn't have to make all the tactical decisions and could concentrate on his riding and winning.
It would probably be a good idea, except that he strikes me as the kind of rider who likes to do his own thing and wouldn't listen to advice ... :whistle:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I've always considered the green jersey the second most important after the yellow - am I missing something?
I believe the prize money for the overall winner of the green and polka dot jerseys is the same at 25,000 euros, with a little bit more prize money available for individual points victories than KoM wins. In the end I guess it's what floats your boat in terms of importance. Being a fat lad, I've always enjoyed the sprints more than the climbs so I lined to take more notice of the points.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Has anyone else seen his official TdF photo?
51.jpg

What's going on with his hair?

jarlrmai

Veteran
I like that saddle....

Great rider that he is, I can't ever see him becoming good enough in the high mountains to be a serious GC contender. Winning the green jersey every year by being 'consistent' is going to lose it's appeal quite quickly (maybe it already has), I don't see he's got anywhere to go but GT stages, classics and maybe a world champs or Olympics if the course is right for him and he can manage it solo. Not too shabby a prospect IMO.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
If Sean Kelly can win a GT, so can Sagan. I have faith in this. Kelly improved as a climber over his career, and he won that final 30km time trial in the 1988 Vuelta by virtue of really, really, really wanting it. He was also helped by Robert Millar in the mountains - a decent climbing domestique or two would be invaluable to Sagan.

He'll need a bit of luck on his side, of course, just as Kelly did when he won the Vuelta, but if you're a canny racer, you tend to make your own luck - things like making sure you're on the right side of a split in the peloton on a wind-affected stage, for example. Maybe he is starting to realise he can't get by on enthusiasm alone and needs to learn to race more tactically.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
If Sean Kelly can win a GT, so can Sagan. I have faith in this. Kelly improved as a climber over his career, and he won that final 30km time trial in the 1988 Vuelta by virtue of really, really, really wanting it. He was also helped by Robert Millar in the mountains - a decent climbing domestique or two would be invaluable to Sagan.

He'll need a bit of luck on his side, of course, just as Kelly did when he won the Vuelta, but if you're a canny racer, you tend to make your own luck - things like making sure you're on the right side of a split in the peloton on a wind-affected stage, for example. Maybe he is starting to realise he can't get by on enthusiasm alone and needs to learn to race more tactically.
He will need to lose some weight too

Top Bottom