Peterborough

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been offered a job in Peterborough and just wondering about the gen. I'll carry out further research of course ;) but it seems like its pretty flat (the fens) and you have to go a good distance to find a hill (Melton Mowbray, etc). Also what areas of Peterborough are good and what areas should be avoided (please dont say all of it ;)) and any other info on Peterborough will be appreciated.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
There are some beautiful villages to the west of Peterborough. Although not cheap by any stretch of the imagination.

Mike5537

Ive lived in and around peterborough for 20 years now, the out laying villages are nice. Avoid inner city areas, the are nice parts of bretton, werrington and some of the ortons. My advise is stick south west of boro, anywhere around oundle is beautiful countryside with rolling hills and great cycling roads. East is boring flat fens but still nice villages like thorney. I Live between oundle and peterborough and can drive into work in 20 mind or a very nice 1hr ride.

Basically id say as long as you are outside a 3 mile radius from the city center you can't go far wrong. If you want any more advise let me know. :smile:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
Lived there a long while back so maybe well out of date.

Rutland is pretty nice and the area around Stamford though quite expensive.

Thorney, Wisbech and the Deepings are in the fens and OK and not too far to commute.

Strick

Ive lived in and around peterborough for 20 years now, the out laying villages are nice. Avoid inner city areas, the are nice parts of bretton, werrington and some of the ortons. My advise is stick south west of boro, anywhere around oundle is beautiful countryside with rolling hills and great cycling roads. East is boring flat fens but still nice villages like thorney. I Live between oundle and peterborough and can drive into work in 20 mind or a very nice 1hr ride.

Basically id say as long as you are outside a 3 mile radius from the city center you can't go far wrong. If you want any more advise let me know. :smile:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Similar advice from myself. I live in Stilton just to the south of Peterborough. Lived in the city centre whilst growing up - avoid at all costs!!
What part of Peterborough is the job based in?
As with Mike, feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions. :smile:

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
HLab. Peterborough isn't a bad place. Up until the 70's it was a small city, after that new "Townships" have been built. Bretton, Werrington, Ortons etc. Each of those areas have good and bad areas. The City itself is improving slowly. It has some great green spaces, parks etc. If you want hills then look at going out to either the North or West of the city. Peterborough is the gateway to the Fens so anything South and east is Flat. Bourne is cheaper than Stamford with the same access to the hills and is still easily commutable. Finding somewhere to live has to be done on a street by street basis in Peterborough. However avoid Paston, Parnwell, Orton Goldhay & Orton Malbourne like the plague. If and when you move up PM me I'll be more than happy to use my "proffessional" knowledge to make sure you don't end up living in the wrong place!

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Did the Flat out in the Fens ride on sunday and stayed in the city centre for a couple of nights. The Peterborough lads will probably have an opinion and I wouldn't want to upset them but to me it appeared every other person seemed to speak ENGLISH. That may seem a bit controversial but there seem to be a very large number of 'guest workers' residing in the city boundries.
The ride started from the regional college which was up The Broadway, which started from the city centre where there seemed to be a number of pubs/clubs staffed by the sterotypical steroid using, shaven headed men dressed in black.
Further up the road it was filled with very nice large older type properties that looked lovely and I would guess years ago that was a very prosperous part of the town. Then there was a nice looking park and the college.
This road appeared to be a throughfare for people from further afield out of town where I guess the rents would be a lot cheaper. Incidently the ride returned through this northern area. It appeared a lot of the guest worker types were the ones walking to and from the city centre from this area.
I would think Peterborough has had a mass immigration of foreign workers particularly over the last years which must have altered the demographics of the city very considerably.
As others have said to the east which was the direction of the ride it was very flat and very windy, which made for hard riding conditions. As it has been said some of the small towns and villages were very nice and would seem to be nice places to live in, but no doubt at a price. Like any big city I suppose you would need to do some research before commiting to a particular part of that city.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Pretty much sums it up.

Obviously as a visitor to your city these were just my observations. My Mrs went round the centre and met me at the college when I got back, she reckoned the same. Not wishing to be disrespectful to you and your fellow citizens, I guess you have confirmed it to me.
Must be a bit depressing if you were born and bred.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Adding to the posts of 172TD & Irish otCB: Peterborough and the surrounding (Fenland) towns have a large Eastern European / Portugese immigrant communities. Most have now been here for at least 5 years and are fairly well settled. From a Policing point of view we have no more trouble from those communities than from the Anglo Saxon or Asian Community. It actually makes Lincoln Rd (main hub for immigrants) with it's Portugese Cafes quite a lively place to be on a summer evening. The Night life in the city is actually quite subdued. Probably very quiet compared to other similar sized towns.
There are some good bike shops, locally, Including Green Wheel Cycles & Bristows, Terry Wrights in Market Deeping. Two good Clubs based in the city are Fenland Clarion and Peterborough CC. We also have Bourne Wheelers, Spalding CC and Kingscliffe Flyers nearby. All in all a decent place to live with good cycling infrastructure!

How far away from work d'you want to live? Or is it a case of I've got a house budget and will get what best I can for it without living next door to the Gallaghers (Shameless)?
Echo what has been said above, only to say that 172td must've come on an unusual day if every other voice was English, normally it's about 90%/10% European to English.
Moved to Market Deeping in 1977 aged six, lived in Werrington for four-and-a-half-years when first married and Crowland from April 2001 'til now so have no experience of living anywhere else. Fenlanders can be funny buggers ("yew'm a stranger rewnd 'ere") but not quite duelling banjo's and as said before we're OK for bike shops, places to cycle and communications to & from various other parts of the country. Plus which we have had a round of the Halfords Tour Series come here for three years now which is worth a watch.
Are you used to living in a town/city or more village and which would you like to live in now? Plenty of villages around about, as said before if you've any ideas about where you'd like to go let us know and we'll vet them for you. :smile:

Top Bottom