Phoning the docs about knee problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi.

Because I'm in York I cant go book an appointment at my docs in Manchester, I'm just wondering if anyone has the slightest idea that when I ring up tomorrow and ask the receptionist if I could talk to a doctor regarding my MRI scan if they will allow it?

Also do you have to be registered at a doctors surgery to see a doctor?

I know these are odd questions but I want to be reassured so It's not on my mind.

Thanks
Will

Melvil

You can only ask. I would phone up as soon as they open in the morning, explain you're out of town and ask if they have a convenient time that day (essentially making an appointment) when you can speak to the doctor over the phone. They should be able to oblige, hopefully.

buggi

Bird Saviour
yes, it's ok. you can book a telephone appointment. they do this at my doctors. The receptionist will give you a specific time to call, or arrange a specific time when the doctor can call you.

Ah that's cool then.

Another question, if I've had an MRI scan, will the actual scan be stored on the system? So any doctors in the country can look at it? As I'm not registered with the doctors here anymore but I might try get an appointment if this is possible.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
IIRC, after a scan, a highly skilled person interprets the scan and sends a letter to your GP, explaining what they have found. The person to ask about that, I think would be Mr Magnatom Himself.

Gromit

Über Member
I would go to the walk in centre on Monkgate early in the morning if I were you, you can at least get to talk to a Doc in person. I'm not sure about the MRI scan being available on the system though. Good luck.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
That's why I mention the letter. A GP would not necessarily have the skills to interpret the scan. So a letter is sent saying that "it appears that ..
(much complicated medical words) and ..... presents xyz". From that letter your GP should be able to tell you what happens next.

Very sorry Willhub, but these things take time. I know you want to get it sorted absolutely as soon as possible, and that it is extremely worrying for you.

On my letter it said everything is ok apart from I have a slightly worn path on the articular Cartilage on the back of the knee cap, goes on to say this would explain the occasional discomfort experienced in my knee after heavy exercise.

I cringe at the thought of having months off cycling, my fitness will fall massively and I can kiss goodbye to getting faster, I wont be faster than I am now untill 2011 probably assuming it gets sorted this year.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I know this is difficult for you. I think you need to talk to the Doctor who referred you for the scan, hopefully you can do that tomorrow.

Are you a student, and will you be going back home soon?

You are very urgently wanting to talk to people who have had knee problems, and it sounds to me like you need to talk about this. How about changing the title of the thread to reflect the "knee" subject. Or start a new one if no mod is available to edit the title of this one?

I am a student, I'm at home now though for the summer holidays, I was looking forward to my 180 mile ride on Saturday that I paid £3.50 for but looks like I cant do it. Cycling is basically one of the things I do most of the time, my preferred method of travel.

I guess I can ask a mod to change the title.

To be honest I'm urgently wanting to get onto the docs in the hope they say I'm ok to do a ride on Saturday, be it the 180 miler or just something like 60 miles, I stuck inside, it's sunny and I'm not liking it, I don't feel I want to do anything, I used to play games all the time, now I'm not even in the mood for that.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I think there are lots of people on this forum who have been preoccupied with a particular problem, and feel demotivated as you describe.

There are two things you could do:

Write down the questions you want to ask the doctor tomorrow. I know, this is a bit obvious, but otherwise you might find that as soon as you put the phone down, you will realise you missed one of your questions.

Ask, for instance, if he thinks you should have physio therapy, and about the ride on Saturday.

Secondly, go to the thread in which Blonde gave you so much advice about your diet. You can print out threads in way that makes it easier to read. Go to thread tools, at the top of the page, and scroll down to "Printable version". Once you have got that, you can refresh your memory as to what she suggested, more fruit was one of them IIRC.

How long a break have you got from studying?

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I followed that thread closely. I think I might print it off for myself, and try out some changes. Not all at once. Some of them I think I already do, like wholewheat pasta, and brown rice, instead of white pasta/rice.

Do you live with your parents? I am sure they would be very pleased if you cooked an evening meal for them perhaps once a week, and/or did some of the shopping. :biggrin:

Is there other sports you like, besides cycling. Swimming for instance?

Top Bottom