Phoning the docs about knee problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mangaman

willhub said:
Hi.

Because I'm in York I cant go book an appointment at my docs in Manchester, I'm just wondering if anyone has the slightest idea that when I ring up tomorrow and ask the receptionist if I could talk to a doctor regarding my MRI scan if they will allow it?

Also do you have to be registered at a doctors surgery to see a doctor?

I know these are odd questions but I want to be reassured so It's not on my mind.

Thanks
Will

Hi Will

Speaking as a hosital doc it all depends where you're registered GP-wise

If you still are registered in York they should have the MRI result sent to them

If you're registered with a Manchester GP you'll have to get to get in touch with your GP / Consultant for the result.

Speaking personally ( and as internet anonimity doesn't exist - I'll have to add this is my opinion not my employer) - it happens all the time - people I arrange to have scans want to know the results straight away - just as I would. If they ring my secreatary I'll always let them know by phone or letter asap

PS - you have my deepest sympathy - my avatar is an MRI of my (slightly) buggered knee

OP
OP
willhub

willhub

Guru
I guess I'll have to book an appointment at the doctors here and tell them what the letter from the MRI scan said, I am registered in Manchester, I guess if they wont see me then I'll have to wait until I get back, which is about 2 and 3 quarter months. The only other sport around here is Tennis, I don't fancy taking that up though tbh and it'll probs stress my knees out as much, I don't want to quit cycling until the end of this year or next.

I'm pretty enraged about my knee tbh, I'm 20 and it's screwed, I'm potentially 20% through my life and already have a buggered knee, I mean how flawed is the human body, should be able to take more stick than 13,000 miles of cycling, god knows what ape men where like all those years ago..

I went on a "recovery ride" today, probably about 4 or 5 miles, taking it very steady on my commuter bike in normal clothes, my knees did not feel bad and my muscle ache from the 60 miles yesterday was relived, but my knee acted up slightly, I've only not being on the bike less than a day and I feel like a slob due to the knowledge that I might not be on the bike for quite a while unless the doctor can say if it's ok. I do have a suspended gym membership but that is about 30 quid a month and I never got used to being in there, I suspended my membership when I took up cycling.

mangaman

Seriously Will

I shouldn't be saying this probably as an NHS consultant, but that's all wrong

The MRI report is sitting on someone's desk - ie the consultant who ordered it.

Ring their consultant's secreatary and ask for the result. Happens to me every day - I'd ring you up and tell you tomorrow. It's your scan - your knee - your life. No-one has the right to withhold any info from you. If thet fob you off say you have to know as you have to enter a cycle race in the near future and can't wait.

In my experience no-one will lie (and give you a false result), but will make less than strenuous efforts to contact you unless you badger them. Sad but true

PS - usual disclaimer - if anyone knows me theses are personal opinions and don't reflect those of my trust - (although if anyone knows me they know I'd ring you straight away)

mangaman

willhub said:
The only other sport around here is Tennis, I don't fancy taking that up though tbh and it'll probs stress my knees out as much.

PS Will, tennis is a pretty cool sport - especially for blokes

I agree with you to knee checked out first - then try some mixed doubles - lots of fun :sad:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
mangaman said:
Seriously Will

I shouldn't be saying this probably as an NHS consultant, but that's all wrong

The MRI report is sitting on someone's desk - ie the consultant who ordered it.

I think that he already has the report. He's mentioned a letter that interprets the MRI scan and reports that all is well apart from some wear in one particular area.

Doesn't he just need an interpretation of what the letter means with respect to his cycling ambitions?

OP
OP
willhub

willhub

Guru
Yea I need to know what the doctor thinks.

I'm wondering, how long can knee swelling last for? Maybe my knee is just swollen up? I notice the skin above my knee's is pinkish, I thought this was normal as it's being like it for ages.

mangaman

vernon said:
I think that he already has the report. He's mentioned a letter that interprets the MRI scan and reports that all is well apart from some wear in one particular area.

Doesn't he just need an interpretation of what the letter means with respect to his cycling ambitions?

Hey - you're right - I never noticed :sad:

Strangely (it seems) exactly what I've got - see my avatar - the front is my kneecap - the white stuff is irritation from a tear below my kneecap.

It stll needs sorting though Will. Cartilage has no blood supply and will not heal itself. I have worked on extra quads strengthening which has largely got rid of my pain, but I'm 43 years old

If i was your age I would want an arthroscopy (keyhole surgery), which would nick out the affected area and you'd be OK in a few weeks

Once again (boringly) this is my opinion not my employer

In fact they wanted to operate on my knee but I was prepared to live with a bit of pain (I wouldn't have been at your age though)

I still think you shoud ring the secretary of the orthopaedic consultant and ask for their plan - tell them you are "Sir Chris Hoy" and see how they would react. (Actually don't - but you can see the principle - don't get fobbed off and don't go via your GP (who will be fobbed off as well ))

Once again ladies and gentlemen, this is my opinion not my employer

Sorry - bit paranoid

OP
OP
willhub

willhub

Guru
The secretary? So the reception? That's the only place you can contact anyway.

Can swelling of the knee last for a long time? I'm hoping that may be the cause so tomoz I'll buy some anti-inflammatory tablets and if it helps I might still be able to cycle! I do want anything doing to get rid of the problem, I would have surgery but it's going to be months until I'd be able to would it not.

OP
OP
willhub

willhub

Guru
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Tendonitis/Pages/Symptoms.aspx

I was reading that and from what I can tell it seems pretty much like Tendinitis, sat here with my legs bent, if I rock my leg side to side or move my ancle I can feel creeking or maybe crackling in the knee cap, under the knee about an inch down I have this lump, but I've had it for years and years, for all I know since I was born, way before I started cycling though, then if I move my finger down my shin I feel lumps, but I don't know if a tendon goes down there anyway? Skin over knee cap is red, I'm going to try get to the docs tomoz and get it confirmed if he can be sure, hopefully Anti-Inflams might do the trick.

mangaman

Will - I'm only on a guy on a forum

Sounds like you need to get advice from those that know - ie the guys with the scan.

I don't know what happened but GPs generally can't book MRIs - you must have seen a hospital consultant

If you can't remember, ring the GP and ask for the consulatant's name then ring their secretary

It sounds as if you should visit your own GP anyway as you say - if your knee is red and before you start self-medicating

OP
OP
willhub

willhub

Guru
Booked an appointment at the docs for 3:20, if he diagnoses or thinks it's tendinitis then I'll get some anti inflams and ya never know might be able to do the ride on Sunday.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Have you had an MRI at the hospital ?

Normal process, is referral to Consultant from GP, Consultant requests MRI, you go in this big machine, results to Consultant, you go to Consultant and so on from there.

The Doctors usually end up with a copy of the results though. Have you seen a consultant ?

OP
OP
willhub

willhub

Guru
I got the results on paper from the doctors, I have had the MRI scan.

So just to make it clear.

I have the results (well I have a piece of paper describing what is apparently wrong.
I have had an MRI scan.

OP
OP
willhub

willhub

Guru
Ok, being to the docs.

She said she will request the MRI scan from the doctors in Manchester, she will have a look at it, should be in contact with me sometime this week as should have the scan by tomorrow. She then said she'll refer me to a physio if needed at selby hospital, said it'll be done quickly.

In the mean time she said it's ok to cycle and if I do a big ride at the weekend (I am planning on doing the 180miler now), she said take ibuprofen 3 times that day, once before I go , once in the ride and oncer after I think, and 3 times a day for 2 days after. She moved my leg around and said she cannot feel anything that could be the joints, I explained I get the pain at the bottom of my knee cap just below it and to the side and the main clicking comes from above the knee cap to the left, she said that it seems like it sounds like tendonitis and that the anti inflams should help it go down.

Top Bottom