Pimp my Foil..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorvernRob

Evening all

I've been getting a bit of stuff together to fit to my Foil, had a day off yesterday so got busy and sorted it! The plan was to lighten it as much as possible (without doing silly things like chopping seatposts and fitting plastic bolts) as it's only going to be used in the dry for hilly rides.

Full spec is:
Foil 10, HMX frame in a 54.
Ritchey wcs carbon seatpost, stem and evo curve carbon bars.
Sram Red groupset with 12-27 Dura Ace cassette and KMC x10 SL gold chain.
Zipp 202 tubulars with Swissstop Black Prince pads.
Fizik Antares carbon railed saddle.

Current weight including pedals, cages, Garmin and mount is 6.55kg. The pedals will be the next and last thing to be upgraded which will take the weight down to around 6.4kg.

It's amazing how light it feels compared to my 9kg Cube Peloton!

8BCD896D-0F61-4CA4-85FA-67368C591D20_zps53hbsewf.jpg
10B54661-79C9-4E73-AB79-053DC9F2253D_zpszktgqe1i.jpg
Rob

young Ed

Veteran
sorry to sound like an idiot, but what exactly is a foil?

very, very nice bike by the way!
Cheers Ed

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
sorry to sound like an idiot, but what exactly is a foil?

very, very nice bike by the way!
Cheers Ed

Scott Foil - it's a model of a Scott Aero Road bike. Foil being derived from "aerofoil" the tubes are aero shaped, but the trailing edge is 'squared off' - net effect is that it's almost as aerodynamic as a full aerofoil, but lots less material needed to make it = light !!!

young Ed

Veteran
Scott Foil - it's a model of a Scott Aero Road bike. Foil being derived from "aerofoil" the tubes are aero shaped, but the trailing edge is 'squared off' - net effect is that it's almost as aerodynamic as a full aerofoil, but lots less material needed to make it = light !!!
does my old scott speedster count? the top tube turns squarer and squarer nearer the seat post if that makes sense
001_zps75871856.jpg

Cheers Ed

OP
OP
N

NorvernRob

Watch it doesn't blow away.

Very smart and understated. Love Ritchey bars/stems/seatposts - got a WCS bar on my commuter !!

I like the shape of the bars, somewhat flattened on the tops so really comfortable for climbing. I don't know if it's just the setup but I'm more comfortable on it than my Peloton (though the Peloton absorbs more bumps with 25mm tyres and less stiff frame) and on my 19.5 mile training loop I currently can't get within 4 minutes of the time I can do on the Foil.

I've got a bike fit booked at Cadence Sport in January for both bikes though, so it will be interesting to see what Adrian changes on each bike as I'm in no way suggesting the Foil is 7% faster than the Cube!

fossyant

Adrian (Timmis ?) is supposed to be good - I was racing when he was a pro racer.

I've got some great steel bikes and don't notice much difference generally between them, as both have near identical tyres etc. They were both set up mm by mm with the Bernard Hinault book 'Racing and Training Techniques' before the internet was set up !

It may be the Cube isn't set up right. Or you are just riding extra fast on the blingy bike !!!

Lovely bike - nice and understated and won't 'date' quickly. Mr Sheen to keep it clean !!!

OP
OP
N

NorvernRob

Adrian (Timmis ?) is supposed to be good - I was racing when he was a pro racer.

I've got some great steel bikes and don't notice much difference generally between them, as both have near identical tyres etc. They were both set up mm by mm with the Bernard Hinault book 'Racing and Training Techniques' before the internet was set up !

It may be the Cube isn't set up right. Or you are just riding extra fast on the blingy bike !!!

Lovely bike - nice and understated and won't 'date' quickly. Mr Sheen to keep it clean !!!

I'm pretty sure it's just the setup, I've changed the saddle height and fore/aft a bit on the Cube so will see if it feels better this weekend.

Yeah I've read nothing but good reviews about Adrian. A mate went for a retul fit at a local bike shop (Planet X) and because he had some kind of leg or hip length discrepancy the fitter couldn't do a fitting past a certain point and didn't charge him - that put me off them straight away as it seemed to be a 'by the numbers' fit. A bit of research came up with Cadence, and with the custom Sidas footbeds you get in the price it's no more than a retul fit anyway.

No Mr Sheen for my bikes though, I use a nano sealant that I've got for my car!

fossyant

Mr Sheen is the business. I use some expensive car polish too (Autoglym) , but regular cleans, Mr Sheen original is the business (really).

Contains silicone, and it repells water - keeps the Autoglym Super Resin polish working. Me and @ianrauk swear by it, and our bikes are the cleanest bikes out there.

OP
OP
N

NorvernRob

I'm a bit of a car cleaning obsessive too! Polish doesn't really give protection but it does make paint look good, hence why the Mr Sheen goes well over the top. The Gtechniq C2v3 I use is a nano sealant, it bonds to the surface of the paint forming a protective layer and adding glossiness too. Mr Sheen probably does a very similar job but I've got the sealant anyway so I might as well use it!

How people can ride around on dirty bikes that make allsorts of noises is beyond me, I can't stand the slightest rattle or squeak and my bike has to be clean.

Top Bottom