Please don't wear helmets*!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doog

I can only apologise that Universities, the Transport Research Laboratory and the Department for Transport have all failed to meet your standards for evidence.

Surely its in our best interests as cyclists that the facts we portray are accurate? Im not sure throwing random stuff in from Hawaii and Australia help anyone.

Anyway the 80% figure you provided has been disproved ...or not proven as is the case...

classic33

Leg End Member
Doesn't Australia have a mandatory requirement for helmets whilst cycling. Thereby making it a great place to draw figures from, as opposed to random stuff?

doog

Surely its in our best interests as cyclists that the facts we portray are accurate? Im not sure throwing random stuff in from Hawaii and Australia help anyone.

Anyway the 80% figure you provided has been disproved ...or not proven as is the case...

Very simple.

By providing a range of evidence from more than one source and more than one country it performs two tasks

Firstly it proves that it is not a unique circumstance, but occurs across a range of cultures
Secondly it triangulates by providing evidence from several independent sources it reduces bias and validates

The Australian link he provided was from a helmet cam study with 13 cyclists http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/drivers-at-fault-in-majority-of-cycling-accidents-28489/

This is the sort of complete nonsensical crap we are dealing with on here :rolleyes: when the subject was fatal accidents

Firstly thank you for reposting my link.

Again I can only apologise if the peer review process of the Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine is "nonsensical crap". Perhaps you should take up the lack of rigour and academic validity with them?

doog

Firstly thank you for reposting my link.

Again I can only apologise if the peer review process of the Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine is "nonsensical crap". Perhaps you should take up the lack of rigour and academic validity with them?

No problem. You've attempted to save your sorry ass on here by posting a link to 13 helmet cam clad cyclists in Australia :laugh:

This was after claiming 80% of motorists were at fault for cycling fatalities.....

As before, I am not going to reply to your personal sniping

Please feel free to dismiss a peer reviewed paper rather than discuss it's findings.

Equally please feel free to discount the other evidence offered as well.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
To be fair some glibly toss facts and figures around like confetti and the masses follow ^_^.

You mean like "Cycle helmets prevent 85% of head injuries and 88% of brain injuries."?

Facts and figures (!) kindly presented to us by Thompson, Rivara and Thompson way back in 1989, rapidly refuted (correct use of the word) by peer review, and retracted by the authors. Trouble is, we still keep seeing these totally erroneous figures presented as indisputable facts.

Drago

Legendary Member
Ah, the TRL, who are so scientific in their approach they thought a Honda 90 with the engine removed was sufficiently representative of the typical motorcycle that it was appropriate for use during crash testing. Sometimes there are people you really don't want on your side.

The Honda C90 (also known as the "Cub") WAS "typical" in that it has sold more units than any other motorcycle in History and at one point was the most prevalent motorcycle on the road

In fact with 60 million produced it is the best selling vehicle (of all types) in history

Last edited:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Do you think the academics actually rode the bikes? Because I would think they would already be influencing the results when they gave their briefing.
If you're referring to the Bristol study on risk compensation among drivers when faced with cyclists - he was the only cyclist involved. Wearing ordinary male clothes, a wig to make him look female, and lycra. With and without helmets. People gave him more room as a "woman" and as an unhelmeted rider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom