Please help me sort out my TV

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
To use the DVR to pause live TV you'd have to have the satellite box going thought it (compostite) to the monitor so back to square one?.

Maybe best do some reseach and buy a HDMI Satellite Freeview box with built in hard drive?.

We have the Virgin Media Tivo, but not the cheapest option..

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If you can link another device into your setup, I'd strongly suggest buying some cheap device to do the iPlayer stuff because the BBC will almost certainly change the non-standard service protocols and break it again. Or if you can get a satellite PVR that will do iPlayer too, see if it has some sort of input or passthrough so you can get such a device later if its iPlayer gets broken.

From your picture It looks like your DVD player / recorder has s- video out ? . Could you not just connect that straight to the monitors S - video connection and then switch the video from HDMI to S-video on the monitor depending what you are using . I accept you have to switch 2 separate units ( monitor and amp ) depending which source you choose ?

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
You can get HDMI switch boxes for not very much that allow you to connect more than one device to a single HDMI socket (port?). If your devices play ball, they'll automatically switch, but you can switch manually using a button on the box or via a remote. That way you'll have the best video quality, and use your amp to switch the audio.

OP
OP
Yellow Saddle
All sorted. One of these were delivered yesterday and I installed it (all by myself, pat pat).

TV.jpg

All's working well now. I think we have more crappy channels now than before, iPlayer works again and....cough cough, the image is brilliant. I should have plugged in the HDMI cable long ago.

The box feeds directly to the monitor via HDMI. The box also outputs sound to the amp who now seems to think that some fancy Dolby signal is coming through and it sounds all different and fancy.

I plugged an old USB hard drive into the box and it now records, pauses and does all sorts of other fancy tricks. The old DVD drive thing is lying belly up, ready to go into the attic.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
On Thursday evening BBC finally called a halt on our Manhattan Satellite decoder and iPlayer box. I had been expecting it and did look at the website listing of affected models but ours wasn't on there. Now there's no catch-up TV and no Poldark and no Bake-Off and all those other things that make for a happy household and gives me so much free time in my workshop without being unsociable.

I looked at the BBC website but all that tells me is to go to some other websites where these gadgets are reviewed without sufficient details to make me feel confident enough to order one of them

Anway, here's the scenario.
The Manhattan decoder plugs into an amp via those three screened cables - the red, yellow and white.
The amp outputs to a dumb monitor (not TV) via a single screened cable via it's Monitor Out port.
The amp has no HDMI or USB. It does have S-Video (really awful quality picture).
Inputs to the amp can be via red/yellow/white.

What I want to do is to replace the Manhattan decoder with one with the right output ports but everything now seems to be USB or HDMI. If possible I'd also like to pass it all through a DVD recorder which I can't do at the moment.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

1.Get rid of TV and all paraphernalia.

If it's like my (much older) Humax (and it seems unlikely they've gone backwards) it's reasonably easy to edit that list of channels so it only has the ones you actually want.

Our Humax Foxsat (which we bought a few years back when we gave Sky the heave-ho) is also on the list of no longer supported devices regarding iPlayer. I contacted the BBC to express my disappointment that an otherwise perfectly functional box won't get iPlayer any more but didn't get a reply. It made me feel better to comment though :-)

Thankfully, the Samsung tv has a Smart Hub so we can still get iPlayer that way.

keithmac

Guru
I might give the Humax a go if my "negotiations" with Virgin Media don't go to plan..

BBC switched off iPlayer on certain "older" devices. However, my device is exactly two years old.

OK, so RWY is called composite feed. Then either the amp puts out a dirty S-video out or the monitor doesn't like it because S-video from amp to monitor is mottled.

Dirty S-video?

One does miss Fnaar

Top Bottom