Please help me sort out my TV

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Yellow Saddle
If I have read the op correctly, this should sort him out, as long as he has a broadband connection.
One of these for streaming every available channel including all sky sports channels etc, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MXQ-Quad-...911184?hash=item25c0f28cd0:g:t1cAAOSwbsBXmyMe

And this should sort out your s-video conversion issue ,http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...eo+to+hdmi.TRS0&_nkw=s-video+to+hdmi&_sacat=0

Broadband is a given, but unfortunately not all that broad.

Thanks, the HDMI to composite output would sort out the HDMI problem. The quad-core Android cross-eye-fully-loaded thing in the first link scares me.

So, now that I know that I can convert HDMI to S-video and composite, I'm halfway there.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
The android box is just a reciever operating on the same software as the majority of our touch screen mobile phones, very simple to use.
Tutorial,

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJw61D4H3nE

EnPassant

Remember Remember some date in November Member
So, now that I know that I can convert HDMI to S-video and composite, I'm halfway there.
If you do go for a straight replacement, the last freeview digital box I had was a Humax. Historically I have been quite picky about such things. Not necessarily the cheapest, but I had no problems. I don't know the current models but as of about 4/5 years ago they had a good reputation and mine was faultless in operation.

Edit to add: If you choose to go down the online route, bandwidth might matter. I notice you said your broadband isn't very broad.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Theoretically you only need to run the audio signal to the audio amplifier and pretty much every device has an 'Audio out' on it, it may be a 'mini-jack' though but converter leads are available (Mini-jack to 2 Phono)

bruce1530

Guru
The yellow bit is the composite feed, in that the RGB (red green blue) is all mixed up in one cable. The white and red parts are left and right audio only.
S-video is technically better in that it keeps RGB separate. (as do scart or hdmi, which also carry audio where s-video does not).

Warning: pedant alert, sorry...
S-video (or Y/C) doesn’t keep the RGB separate - it keeps the luma (the black & white picture) and the chroma (the "colouring in”) separate. So it can give a better picture than composite video (where it’s all mixed up on one signal), but not as good as component (where the RGB are all on separate links - strictly, it’s YPbPr, but let’s not go there....).

All of these are analogue systems. HDMI is a completely digital solution.

And “SCART” is generally just used to refer to a multipin connector which can carry all of the common analogue formats (originally just composite and component, but later extended to include s-video) as well as stereo unbalanced audio. Many SCART implementations only include the composite video and audio channels.

Back to the original question: what inputs does your monitor have? Is it only opposite, or are there any other options?

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
S-video (or Y/C) doesn’t keep the RGB separate - it keeps the luma (the black & white picture) and the chroma (the "colouring in”) separate. So it can give a better picture than composite video (where it’s all mixed up on one signal), but not as good as component (where the RGB are all on separate links - strictly, it’s YPbPr, but let’s not go there....).

And “SCART” is generally just used to refer to a multipin connector which can carry all of the common analogue formats (originally just composite and component, but later extended to include s-video) as well as stereo unbalanced audio. Many SCART implementations only include the composite video and audio channels.
You ought to see the back of the AV system in our front room, as many cables as a small 'server' room, I could route everything through the (Yamaha) AV amp but then it would just get stupid (the amp has the switching capabilities to act as a 'nerve centre)
For playing music though I'd sooner listen to my HiFi in the back/dining room.

Quad 001.JPG

EnPassant

Back to the original question: what inputs does your monitor have? Is it only opposite, or are there any other options?
Argh, you got me. yes, chroma and luma separation. doh, my memory.

OP
OP
Yellow Saddle

My monitor has lots of inputs. S-Video, HDMI and the Red/Yellow/White. It is the amp that only has S-video (poor quality) and Red/Yellow/White.

Currently I'm using the white only to feed input to the monitor.

bruce1530

Guru
yep - feed the HDMI from whatever receiver you get to the monitor. Take a separate audio feed from the receiver (there usually will be one, but if not, you can get a gizmo to strip audio out of hdmi) and feed that to the audio amp.

EnPassant

Why feed the picture channel through the Audio amp ?
Source switching would be the most likely reason and why amps have this capability in the first place I think, you swap the source once via the amp and don't have to do it twice, once for picture and once for sound.
But now that a person who really knows what they are on about has shown up, I'm going to stfu :rolleyes:.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Source switching would be the most likely reason and why amps have this capability in the first place I think, you swap the source once via the amp and don't have to do it twice, once for picture and once for sound.
But now that a person who really knows what they are on about has shown up, I'm going to stfu :rolleyes:.
Like I posted I could do that with the Yamaha AV (7.1 ) amp but the cabling would be horrendous, it's bad enough as it is. :crazy:

EnPassant

Well, the idea is it's less not more. You route dvd, sat box, vhs, game console whatever all to the amp. Then the amp simply passes the video signal to the monitor and processes the audio, thus you only ever have the one video 'in' on the monitor (and far less video wiring).
Otherwise you have to route all the audio to the amp, and all the video to the monitor. Then switch the amp to 'satellite receiver' and also the monitor to 'satellite receiver' (or whichever).
FWIW I pretty much replaced all of those sources with a PC. so it's all moot from what it used to be in my case.
So much for my stfu...... also this probably isn't what YS has so I won't bang on off topic further.

Last edited:
Top Bottom