Police Officer with a chip?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martinclive

Über Member
Wait behind a car today rather than squeezing through and the car behind then waits behind me and gives me time - stuff like that.

Ever seen someone squeeze past a car then the car passes them too close in return - that too

Certainly does not always work - but I find it helps - maybe it's just me! ^_^

cd365

Guru
+ Did the cyclist help or damage the reputation of cyclists to all those watching?

If we want to be treated better we should act better......
He did not represent me in any way at all.

martinclive

Über Member
He did not represent me in any way at all.
Yep - agreed 100%

But while he represents no one but himself it is possible that others, seeing his behavior and incorrectly seeing cyclists as a group may accidentally form an incorrect opinion of one of us from his actions
Legal or illegal if all cyclists did what he did at every junction I can see it ending very badly - so personally for lots of reasons think his actions were wrong (my opinion only)
Cheers

[QUOTE 3724127, member: 45"] We're never going to eradicate all of the idiots so, unless Godwin sorts them out, the best thing we can do is take no notice of the inevitable public negative view of cyclists.[/QUOTE]

Godwin? They all trying to do 200 miles a day, or quoting Hitler? ;)

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Not at all absurd - 'dependent' maybe not, 'potentially influenced by' certainly - every day

Well your original quote left no room for doubt but let's say it can 'potentially influence' others' behaviour towards me on the road - that's equally absurd.
I ride in a legal and considerate manner every day and somehow that's not enough not to be treated badly?

Please have a think about the mindset of people who do what you're supporting and its consequence.

GC

martinclive

Über Member
Well your original quote left no room for doubt but let's say it can 'potentially influence' others' behaviour towards me on the road - that's equally absurd.
I ride in a legal and considerate manner every day and somehow that's not enough not to be treated badly?

Please have a think about the mindset of people who do what you're supporting and its consequence.

GC
I'm supporting a notion that some acts in life influence other acts - and you may well have no control over that - you do not seem to believe that happens - your prerogative,
I believe it happens all the time, every day..............anyway - take care
(and I am certainly not supporting bad behavior or anything else - not sure on your reference to what I'm supporting above)
Cheers
Martin

swansonj

Guru
So my treatment at the hand of motorists is dependent on behaviour that's out of my control? That's absurd.

GC
I think, if you were a Muslim, you would understand only too well how your treatment at the hands of society is only too heavily dependent on behaviour that's outside your control. (sorry if I've missed the point you were making.)

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
And I quote from the case law. Different from the circumstance in the OP

"In my judgment a person who is walking across a pedestrian crossing pushing a bicycle, having started on the pavement..

All the quoted case law appears to refer to stepping from a pavement at a crossing whereas in the video the pavement and crossing do not feature in the cyclists actions.
The important point is that when you push a bicycle as a pedestrian, the bicycle is effectively a piece of luggage, same as a suitcase on wheels. Red lights do not apply to pedestrians, either with or without luggage. The fact that he is on the road and not the pavement is neither here nor there, as although walking on the road may not always be advisable, it is not a forbidden activity, and frequently necessary in rural areas that have no pavements.

middleman

Regular
The important point is that when you push a bicycle as a pedestrian, the bicycle is effectively a piece of luggage, same as a suitcase on wheels. Red lights do not apply to pedestrians, either with or without luggage. The fact that he is on the road and not the pavement is neither here nor there, as although walking on the road may not always be advisable, it is not a forbidden activity, and frequently necessary in rural areas that have no pavements.

I think its a particular case that would need tested in court given the differences of opinion on this thread to establish whether or not he was considered to be a pedestrian in these circumstances and what i am saying is that the stated case law does not clear up that point as the circumstances for which they applied to are different with the pavement coming play as in the OPs video the cyclist never leaves the roadway. Without that test I don't think we can say a law has been broken or not.
I still maintain though that the cop was correct in speaking to the man about it even if he didn't deal with it in a mannerly fashion if it was even to advise the cyclist of the possible dangers.

middleman

Regular
13 pages discussing the merits of an impatient dickhead cyclists, the world has gone mad.

I am retreating back to the safety of the helmet / earphones sub forum :reading:

Quite a few on here don't seem to think he was an impatient dickhead cyclist, in fact some would put forward a view it was a clear case of Police Harassment by an anti cyclist rozzer who has no business speaking to a member of the public unless they have broken a law and that we should all start running about on the roadway with our cycles beside us rather than sitting on them and pushing the pedals.

Must check out this helmet/earphones sub forum. Can you hear the beeps when the green man is on with your headphones on as you run across the junction with your bike?:laugh::tongue:

Healthy discussions whilst they last :okay:

Last edited:
Top Bottom