Pootle Around The Trough (Sunday, 31st October)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sysagent

"The Most Annoying Man In The World."
Hello all,

Cut & pasted from the Downloads section (where there is a map, GPX file & Profile of the route):-

Nice scenic forty four mile circular route around the beautiful environs of West Lancashire.

The route will start (10am seems a reasonable hour) and finish at Spring Wood Car Park just off the A671 (SD 741 360) so you can award yourself an ice cream at the end of the ride at Harmsworth's Ice Cream Van which is there almost twelve months a year, I swear...

More or less half way around the route we could stop off at the cafe in Dunsop Bridge for a brew and a slab of cake if the need is there, after a brew we will then head into the beautiful Trough Of Bowland:-

290505-24.jpg

After circumventing the undulating topography we will will pass by the village of Chipping which also has a handy cafe where we could stop off and get more refreshments, it also has a public toilets as well just behind the cafe which could be needed by now.

After Chipping skirt under Longridge Fell and then head back on the road that we started the journey on, passing through Whalley and then up the last climb of the day to the car park.

Route Statistics

Total Climb - 3307ft
Total Descent - 3300ft
Distance - 44 miles
Grade - Medium with two major climbs

Russ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm in, thanks to a kind offer of a lift from Kevin (tubbycyclist).

It's your ride Russ, but Dunsop Bridge is actually more like a quarter of the way round (12 mile point) and very early in the route to be having a cafe stop! I'd have thought that getting nicely warmed up for the Trough climb would be better and look forward to the cafe at Chipping after 33 miles?

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
What kind of average speed are you anticipating?
I'm not very fast, esp up hills (though I have done the Trough without having to walk it...)

Not sure if I can make the date at the moment, but no point in wondering that if I'm going to be too slow anyway!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
What kind of average speed are you anticipating?
I'm not very fast, esp up hills (though I have done the Trough without having to walk it...)

Not sure if I can make the date at the moment, but no point in wondering that if I'm going to be too slow anyway!
I can answer for Russ because I will be bringing up the rear... My speed up the Trough and any other significant hills will be '"Any slower and I'd have to walk"! 

I think the word 'Pootle' in the thread title gives a strong hint of what speed we will be doing!

Nobody has ever complained about slow speeds on any CycleChat ride that I've been on and that is over 20 now. The faster riders climb at their own speed and have a nice chat waiting at the summits while we slower ones catch up.

The Trough is the hardest part of the whole route, and since you have managed that climb previously, you should be fine for the rest of the loop.

I would take a guess and say that we wouldn't average much more than 10 mph if the last few hilly rides are anything to go by.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I can answer for Russ because I will be bringing up the rear... My speed up the Trough and any other significant hills will be '"Any slower and I'd have to walk"!
Sounds just like me! Ta.

KINGCUTTER

This sounds great wife and I may be up for it do you know a postcode for meetig place I know it,s a carpark but no idea where.

OP
OP
Sysagent

Sysagent

"The Most Annoying Man In The World."
The long range forecast for Sunday is looking pretty grim...

WARNINGS: Strong Winds (S and W). Heavy Precipitation (Many Areas).

SUMMARY: Unsettled across all areas as low pressure dominates.

SYNOPTIC SITUATION: A large and complex area of low pressure is forecast to become located across the U.K. during the day, maintaining very unsettled conditions across many areas.

WIND: W or SW fresh or strong across the S and E, W or NW fresh or strong in the N and W.

WEATHER: Overcast across all areas of the country, with outbreaks of moderate, locally heavy, rain and showers pushing E across the country throughout the course of the day.

TEMPERATURE: Near average.

CONFIDENCE OF FORECAST: Medium – 60%

Rammylad

The long range forecast for Sunday is looking pretty grim...

WARNINGS: Strong Winds (S and W). Heavy Precipitation (Many Areas).

SUMMARY: Unsettled across all areas as low pressure dominates.

SYNOPTIC SITUATION: A large and complex area of low pressure is forecast to become located across the U.K. during the day, maintaining very unsettled conditions across many areas.

WIND: W or SW fresh or strong across the S and E, W or NW fresh or strong in the N and W.

WEATHER: Overcast across all areas of the country, with outbreaks of moderate, locally heavy, rain and showers pushing E across the country throughout the course of the day.

TEMPERATURE: Near average.

CONFIDENCE OF FORECAST: Medium – 60%

I've gone straight back on the Prozac!

Top Bottom