posey cycle luggage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

Like this:

topeak%20wedge%20pack%20sm%2004.jpg

I don't see how anyone who's not just going round the block wouldn't need something like this (which is what I use):

topeak%20mtx%20trunk%20bag%20dx.jpg

Do the people who use those posey little saddle bags just do 5 minutes on the bike, get home and pull muscleman poses in the mirror in their wrapround shades shouting 'I AM GODZILLA'?

MessenJah

Rider
Abitrary said:
Like this:

I don't see how anyone who's not just going round the block wouldn't need something like this (which is what I use):

Do the people who use those posey little saddle bags just do 5 minutes on the bike, get home and pull muscleman poses in the mirror in their wrapround shades shouting 'I AM GODZILLA'?

In other words "my choice is better than everyone else's; I know what's best for me, and everyone else too"

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

I've got something a similar size to the top one. It contains a tube, multitool and small repair kit (including a canister). It's all I need to get me out of trouble.

er, you could carry all that in your jersey.

What about, for example:

-book
-lock
-sandwiches
-lucosade
-waterproofs
-sunday magazine supplement
-suntan oil
-lights
-phone
-wallet
-spare t-shirt

Get the bigger bag and go longer, I say.

killiekosmos

Veteran
I've got something a similar size to the top one. It contains a tube, multitool and small repair kit (including a canister). It's all I need to get me out of trouble.

Me too. Also holds mobile and a few £££. Does the job fine.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

You're all limiting your mileage buying those small bags.

If you have a decent sized bag loaded at all times, ready to go, you'll do orders of magnitudes of miles more. Anyway, just my opinion.

PrettyboyTim

But if you're never going to be doing long mileages, what does it matter? My commute into work is around seven miles, and I can't think of any time in the last year where I've cycled more than ten miles in one go. A little bag like that could hold a spare tube, a repair kit, some allen keys and a spanner or two, certainly enough to keep you going in most circumstances.

MessenJah

Rider
Abitrary said:
er, you could carry all that in your jersey.

What about, for example:

-book
-lock
-sandwiches
-lucosade
-waterproofs
-sunday magazine supplement
-suntan oil
-lights
-phone
-wallet
-spare t-shirt

Get the bigger bag and go longer, I say.

Out of all those things, on a long ride you only really need
-phone
-wallet
-sandwiches (or other food)
-lucosade (or other [better] drink)
plus keys and repair stuff. I did about 50 on monday with those six things and a smallish saddlebag.

what sort of ponce carries waterproofs? :biggrin: lol

you can't read books or magazines while riding...

don't need lights if riding in the day...

don't need a lock unless you're planning on going indoors during your ride :biggrin:

Noodley

Abitrary said:
Oh, I see we don't have many big readers amongst us.

I take the time to copy out anything I want to read onto my arm in Biro before I set off on a ride. I thought everyone did that.

Sometimes, if it's a long article, I have to copy it really small and take binoculars, which I hang round my neck so no need for a large bag.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

MessenJah said:
you can't read books or magazines while riding...

I never leave home without something to read. I used to have one of those little bags, but I ended up having to rip pages out of magazines for something to read.

Plus, you look a bit less dodgy in a pub with a proper magazine or book.

mikeitup

Veteran
re

If I'm out with the wife and kids for the day along the cut I take a saddlebag w/ 2 spare tubes, P R kit, tyre levers & a Hexus.

For commuting to work (and long day rides) I use my Topeak Rack Bag (exactly like the one in the picture) with change of clothes, overshoes, longs, 2 spare tubes, P R kit, tyre levers & a Hexus and waterproof just in case etc and my lunch.

Yip I use one like that too most of the time with similar contents (except I don't have a CO2 canister, that space it taken up by some cereal bars) and I have a Montane Featherlite jacket strapped to the bottom. The phone, spare tube and pump go in my pocket and possibly a banana or motre cereal bars, arm/ leg warmers when its cold and occasionally maps. I've got a larger Ortlieb saddle bag and panniers if I needed to carry more but the smaller bag and my rear pockets are fine for day rides, 60-80milers.

MessenJah

Rider
Abitrary said:
I never leave home without something to read. I used to have one of those little bags, but I ended up having to rip pages out of magazines for something to read.

Plus, you look a bit less dodgy in a pub with a proper magazine or book.
Good for you. Not everyone wants to stop when they go for a long-ass ride though.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I ave one about that size. Doesnt stop me doing long rides. All i need to do is take money for a cafe, phone, some food.
In the saddle bag is an inner tube, allen keys and tyre levers. And theres still space in there.
The person i was riding with had no saddle bag. When i go on the fixed the spare tube, tyre levers and allen keys go in my jersey pockets. Doesnt stop me riding far.
Why do you need something to read? Its not like your going to be reading it while your riding.:biggrin:

Top Bottom