Premium bonds - weird coincidence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Bog all as usual but my S&S ISA has just about recovered to pre-covid levels so I'm more or less where I was about five years ago.

DogmaStu

£50 on £50k for me so I’ve cashed in.

I play on the Stock Market - Nasdaq primarily - and since I’m doing ok I’m adding to it. I am up 8.3% since December so intend to keep that going.

So going back to my earlier post, I put my £50k into my Stock Portfolio and it alone went up £4479 this month on the Stocks it went into.

I'm done with Premium Bonds. Safe, low risk, absolutely. But so many ways to make your money work better.

DogmaStu

I wonder if you would have posted it it had gone down £4479 🙂

I can understand the pessimism and apprehension re playing the Stock Markets but the fact is, it isn't that hard to pick Stock that will yield a profit if you do your research and I do plenty - this has become my sole 'job' since I manage my own Portfolio now and haven't bothered going back to work after selling my business - I'm quite absorbed with it. I cycle in the mornings and spend my afternoons doing this when the US Markets open.

I only trade in very large companies, this year it is A.I. that is making headwind so Nvidia, SMCI, AMD, ARM, TMSC, PLTR etc can make money: SMCI for example, has grown over 750% in the last 12 months alone so that may give you an idea of where I am at overall. Nvidia has emerged as the World's most valuable company and grown over 200% very quickly. It could be a bubble...or it may last some time yet. The Jury is out and the A.I. craze may be a Dot com moment. But, right now, they are making good money.

You can set a Trailing Stop Loss and when your Stocks are in profit, you can ensure you lose nothing by managing that. Mine are currently set so that I cannot really fail to take a significant profit. That said, I do occasionally day trade albeit I'm mainly a longer term trader but that can be days, weeks not months or years in some cases. I do a bit of everything but exclusively blue chip Stocks, no Crypto or Indices etc.

Patience is key. If, as you suggested, it had gone down, I wouldn't have worried. Why? Because I am certain that particular Stock would come back in the weeks, months and years ahead to make a decent profit for me with that particular PB money I used. I can do this because I buy 'long' and not leveraged; it is with money I do not need to use in the short term - as most who 'invest' in Premium Bonds know all too well since PB funds are typically put in for some time.

Reading the Markets isn't easy, by no means, it is hard to call the dips and highs right and I very rarely do...but providing your risk level is not silly and the Stock is with a large Top 100 company with good long term prospects, you can make money and do better than even more cautious Pension investors will do for you.

Still, it is not for the faint-hearted. It is still a risk but so much in life is. I find the level of risk I take is working for me. Long may that continue but if I do see a bubble bursting or a significant crash, I can close and be happy with my gains.

Chislenko

Veteran
I can understand the pessimism and apprehension re playing the Stock Markets but the fact is, it isn't that hard to pick Stock that will yield a profit if you do your research and I do plenty - this has become my sole 'job' since I manage my own Portfolio now and haven't bothered going back to work after selling my business - I'm quite absorbed with it. I cycle in the mornings and spend my afternoons doing this when the US Markets open.

I only trade in very large companies, this year it is A.I. that is making headwind so Nvidia, SMCI, AMD, ARM, TMSC, PLTR etc can make money: SMCI for example, has grown over 750% in the last 12 months alone so that may give you an idea of where I am at overall. Nvidia has emerged as the World's most valuable company and grown over 200% very quickly. It could be a bubble...or it may last some time yet. The Jury is out and the A.I. craze may be a Dot com moment. But, right now, they are making good money.

You can set a Trailing Stop Loss and when your Stocks are in profit, you can ensure you lose nothing by managing that. Mine are currently set so that I cannot really fail to take a significant profit. That said, I do occasionally day trade albeit I'm mainly a longer term trader but that can be days, weeks not months or years in some cases. I do a bit of everything but exclusively blue chip Stocks, no Crypto or Indices etc.

Patience is key. If, as you suggested, it had gone down, I wouldn't have worried. Why? Because I am certain that particular Stock would come back in the weeks, months and years ahead to make a decent profit for me with that particular PB money I used. I can do this because I buy 'long' and not leveraged; it is with money I do not need to use in the short term - as most who 'invest' in Premium Bonds know all too well since PB funds are typically put in for some time.

Reading the Markets isn't easy, by no means, it is hard to call the dips and highs right and I very rarely do...but providing your risk level is not silly and the Stock is with a large Top 100 company with good long term prospects, you can make money and do better than even more cautious Pension investors will do for you.

Still, it is not for the faint-hearted. It is still a risk but so much in life is. I find the level of risk I take is working for me. Long may that continue but if I do see a bubble bursting or a significant crash, I can close and be happy with my gains.

Stu,

Unfortunately you have written all that for nothing, I already have a portfolio of shares.

DogmaStu

Stu,

Unfortunately you have written all that for nothing, I already have a portfolio of shares.

Damn. You could have said! :laugh:

Chislenko

Veteran
Damn. You could have said! :laugh:

Sorry mate!

If my memory serves me right you are in Portugal. Assuming you have NHR (or maybe you have used up your ten years) does NHR protect you from tax on gains / dividends?

I may have written all that for nowt if I have got you mixed up with someone else 🙂

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
So going back to my earlier post, I put my £50k into my Stock Portfolio and it alone went up £4479 this month on the Stocks it went into.

I'm done with Premium Bonds. Safe, low risk, absolutely. But so many ways to make your money work better.

PB = Good for short term secure money

Stock Market = Good for 5 year plus invested money.

Our pot has been on the market for 66 years. Average long term return = 7% pa.

DogmaStu

Sorry mate!

If my memory serves me right you are in Portugal. Assuming you have NHR (or maybe you have used up your ten years) does NHR protect you from tax on gains / dividends?

I may have written all that for nowt if I have got you mixed up with someone else 🙂

Right person, I've been back in the UK since January 2023 - new Partner lives here, got divorced in 2022. Aim to be back in Portugal permanently in 2025/6.

I do have to pay CGT.

Chislenko

Veteran
Right person, I've been back in the UK since January 2023 - new Partner lives here, got divorced in 2022. Aim to be back in Portugal permanently in 2025/6.

I do have to pay CGT.

Have you kept your property over there?
We sold up in Tavira last year after 20 years, basically we were never going to move there full time and Brexit travel restrictions were making it hard work.

DogmaStu

Have you kept your property over there?
We sold up in Tavira last year after 20 years, basically we were never going to move there full time and Brexit travel restrictions were making it hard work.

I have an apartment still in Armacao de Pera (going on 15 years now) but sold my house to split 50/50 with my ex. I got my residency the year before Brexit so I now have the new I.D. card post-Brexit. My Partner now is Slovak/Italian on dual passports so we can both live there no problems. I could have stayed, I remind her every day. :laugh:

Top Bottom