Premium bonds - weird coincidence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom...

Guru
Mine's about 2.245% for the last 12 months...at least it's tax free I suppose :rolleyes:
And still rather better than my Vanguard shares ISA :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sorry, I know this is an old post. But, global equities returned 21.3% in 2023, I'd strongly recommend reassessing what you're invested in.

Vanguard's Global All Cap Index fund, which aims to track the FTSE Global All Cap Index, returned 14.71% in 2023.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I’m maintaining my streak of bugger all for the past 3+ years.

vickster

Legendary Member
Sorry, I know this is an old post. But, global equities returned 21.3% in 2023, I'd strongly recommend reassessing what you're invested in.

Vanguard's Global All Cap Index fund, which aims to track the FTSE Global All Cap Index, returned 14.71% in 2023.

I have no idea what that means I'm afraid, it needs to be incredibly simple, I don't really understand the stock market/investing at all (and I'm very risk averse). It is about 1% up as of yesterday

vickster

Legendary Member
Then, I'm sorry to say, you really shouldn't be investing. 2023 was a great year for equities.

I have simple low risk ISAs through Vanguard as I was recommended in the past :smile: The 3 LifeStrategy funds include equities (a mix of 20% doing crap thanks to 2022, 40% doing rather better, 60% about even now). They all did appallingly in 2022, better in 2023 with 7% to 10% growth, hence now about even from a 2021 start).

For me, these are a place to keep money without a further tax burden. I’d lose a major chunk of the interest if stuck in a savings bond or similar.
PBs and cash ISAs maxed out

Last edited:

Tom...

Guru
I have simple low risk ISAs through Vanguard as I was recommended in the past :smile: The 3 LifeStrategy funds include equities (a mix of 20% doing crap thanks to 2022, 40% doing rather better, 60% about even now). They all did appallingly in 2022, better in 2023 with 7% to 10% growth, hence now about even from a 2021 start).

For me, these are a place to keep money without a further tax burden. I’d lose a major chunk of the interest if stuck in a savings bond or similar.
PBs and cash ISAs maxed out

If you've maxed out a cash ISA you cannot fund a S&S ISA too.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you've maxed out a cash ISA you cannot fund a S&S ISA too.

It's an old ISA, I've not paid in for years (partly so not to throw good money after bad :biggrin:)

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
I have no idea what that means I'm afraid, it needs to be incredibly simple, I don't really understand the stock market/investing at all (and I'm very risk averse). It is about 1% up as of yesterday

Incredibly simple:
Buy a Tracker Fund/Unit Trust and keep it long-term. (10 years plus)
Do not put money you might need in the short/medium term on the Stock Market
Do not try to second guess or predict market rises and falls.
Don't even look.

Your investment will (as it says on the tin) track the market. Sometimes up, sometimes down. But the long-term average total return is around 7%

Randomly googled chart for illustration of 25 year period 1985 to 2020

Grey line is FTSE 100 prices
Red Line is dividends reinvested (which is what a tracker fund does)

25851930-0-image-a-21_1583955376343.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
Incredibly simple:
Buy a Tracker Fund/Unit Trust and keep it long-term. (10 years plus)
Do not put money you might need in the short/medium term on the Stock Market
Do not try to second guess or predict market rises and falls.
Don't even look.

Your investment will (as it says on the tin) track the market. Sometimes up, sometimes down. But the long-term average total return is around 7%

Randomly googled chart for illustration of 25 year period 1985 to 2020

Grey line is FTSE 100 prices
Red Line is dividends reinvested (which is what a tracker fund does)

View attachment 720532

do you pay tax though? I haven't got hundreds of thousands to tie up for 10 years either...I like my holidays too much :biggrin:

@PK99 it’s an interesting concept when it comes to S&S’s.

If you take the long term stock growth of around 6% and as inflation has averaged around 3-4% so real term growth in value is 2%.

If you did the same with interest bearing savings, average interest rates have been around 4% which is neutralised by inflation.

In effect investing is a slightly better option but is only marginal noting that the exact start and end points with create winners/losers.

Top Bottom