Preparing for a 300 mile, 4 day cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Diz

Hey OP and @Diz :hello: me too!! I'm signed up to the L2P ride but just go to confirm my charity (there was 3 i wanted to support, unfortunately you cannot raise for 3 different in 1 race!!!)

you both have more miles on me; I am starting from complete scratch - on a 2nd hand bike too . Been out today, going again tomorrow and have got a cycling plan from those mags to fit into the week.... still getting used to the terminology and accessories needed! :training: the longer miles seem alittle daunting for me.
Diz, think of winter training like this- you cannot get any wetter, a hot steaming shower is a reward plus its all prep for the race in April (April showers! :rain:) .

do you fancy keeping in touch and supporting each other ?

good luck all! Sam

The one I'm on is exclusively for Macmillan, I think. Starts 1st July. I have the old bike for winter training although its the short days that will stop me getting out.
The more you ride the easier you will find it, I'm a novice in comparison to many as I only started in April. I'm do in the London bikeathon 100 mile tomorrow so been preparing for that. Do let us know of your progress and make the most of the remaining good weather :smile:

classic33

Leg End Member
How does where you cycle at present compare to where you will be cycling?

OP
OP
Dibs

Dibs

Veteran
How does where you cycle at present compare to where you will be cycling?

The route seems to be mainly undulating, the worst of the hills seems to be on Day 1, between London and Dover!

Where I an in Scotland has several hills close by. I need to work out the route to Dover and try to prep for that kind of hill work!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dibs

Dibs

Veteran
Hey OP and @Diz :hello: me too!! I'm signed up to the L2P ride but just go to confirm my charity (there was 3 i wanted to support, unfortunately you cannot raise for 3 different in 1 race!!!)

you both have more miles on me; I am starting from complete scratch - on a 2nd hand bike too . Been out today, going again tomorrow and have got a cycling plan from those mags to fit into the week.... still getting used to the terminology and accessories needed! :training: the longer miles seem alittle daunting for me.
Diz, think of winter training like this- you cannot get any wetter, a hot steaming shower is a reward plus its all prep for the race in April (April showers! :rain:) .

do you fancy keeping in touch and supporting each other ?

good luck all! Sam

Like Diz, I'm on the Official MacMillan L2P challenge on 1st July. Is that the challenge that you are joining?

OP
OP
Dibs

Dibs

Veteran
Be
The one I'm on is exclusively for Macmillan, I think. Starts 1st July. I have the old bike for winter training although its the short days that will stop me getting out.
The more you ride the easier you will find it, I'm a novice in comparison to many as I only started in April. I'm do in the London bikeathon 100 mile tomorrow so been preparing for that. Do let us know of your progress and make the most of the remaining good weather :smile:

Best of luck with the Bikeathon 100, training must be going well if you are doing that distance already!

I've now completed 70 miles in 1 run on my MTB and lost close to 2st since April. So training is coming along nicely. Just need to sort out a Road bike by next year! :-)

cyclingclueless

Regular
Hey Diz, hope your ride today went well. Ah ok, I knew there was a few dates for this event - am on the April route, as its more spread out.

did 2 hours today, need new seat, owww:thumbsdown:

Dibs- I was expecting hills, bt from the blurb it was guessing more in France than in UK!

OP
OP
Dibs

Dibs

Veteran
Hey Diz, hope your ride today went well. Ah ok, I knew there was a few dates for this event - am on the April route, as its more spread out.

Dibs- I was expecting hills, bt from the blurb it was guessing more in France than in UK!

Once you start getting out for a few hours, you soon find out how comfy your saddle actually is!

Diz

Thanks Both :-)
105 miles, 4380 feet and lots of every bars later I did it. 6.27 was the time.

Still plenty of time to train for L2P. Dibs, all the 2014 frames coming down in price now so hopefully you can pick up something you like! I bet your training involves more hills than mine so keep going and we will definitely have to share a beer in France!

Diz

Well done! Do you have padded shorts? If not that will alleviate some of the pain, you will soon get used to it!

If winter weather dampens/freezes your enthusiasm, I strongly recommend spinning classes for maintaining cycling fitness.

2-3 times a week is good (although I used to try and go a couple of times nearly every day one February a few years ago).

Good luck to all those participating.

And, BTW, Snickers make for excellent and cheap energy bars: 3-4 a day was no problem for me on a six-week tour, but it was a while before I ate them again. :smile:

cyclingclueless

Regular
Hey gents, many thanks for the advice ad cool- snickers I do like those (bet they aren't allowed on slimming world plan tho...)

not got any of the gear yet Diz; I meant what I said when starting from scratch!! Have looked into those. Really need to get a good hi-viz waterproof jacket very soon, winter nights and all that.... Dayvo, I did not put you down as a knitter!! haha.

cyclingclueless

Regular
How is everyone getting on? I completed my first long distance- 36 miles- last Saturday to market Harborough and back.

also recieved my charity and training pack, so its getting real. I've even bought cycling leggings with the padding after hobbling on Sunday!!!

keep going all, I'll donate to you if you do back too!!!

please visit http://www.doitforcharity.com/L2P2015 - also I have seen the elevation profile... ekk at dover and last stretch in paris!

Top Bottom