Prescription direct glazed cycling glasses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
No such option for me. They'd be pretty much useless without varifocal or at least bifocal.

For daily wear I go for the top tier varifocal lenses. No point skimping on your primary sense, and something I wear every waking moment. As a specs wearer since the age of 7 I cannot abide blurry vision.

I'm sure they would have been available if I had wanted them. But the pair they replaced were single vision which is fine for on bike....

I bought some Rudy Project finally this year after dodging the decision for a few years due to cost. Went with the Defender model and waited a few weeks…. Got them delivered and my vision was worse with them on vs without them🤷‍♂️ Investigated to make sure the prescription was correct and all was OK. Turns out that the curvature of the wrap type glasses were affecting my vision and effectively made them a waste of time. Luckily the company that made them offered a full refund.

So i then bought a similar style of cycling glasses and ordered the cheapest pair of new glasses with large lenses in, in total the whole lot cost me £50, then i have simply used some blu tack to secure the lenses inside the sunglasses. The look good (to me), work well and didn’t cost a whole lot, and as a bonus i can even see with them😂

IMG_6587.jpeg

IMG_6588.jpeg

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I bought some Rudy Project finally this year after dodging the decision for a few years due to cost. Went with the Defender model and waited a few weeks…. Got them delivered and my vision was worse with them on vs without them🤷‍♂️ Investigated to make sure the prescription was correct and all was OK. Turns out that the curvature of the wrap type glasses were affecting my vision and effectively made them a waste of time. Luckily the company that made them offered a full refund.

So i then bought a similar style of cycling glasses and ordered the cheapest pair of new glasses with large lenses in, in total the whole lot cost me £50, then i have simply used some blu tack to secure the lenses inside the sunglasses. The look good (to me), work well and didn’t cost a whole lot, and as a bonus i can even see with them😂

View attachment 712978

View attachment 712977

I initially was laughing at these, but I guess it pretty much why Rudy's and other curved front direct glaze do, except they bond the prescription lens into the curved glass, rather than use bluetac.

I initially was laughing at these, but I guess it pretty much why Rudy's and other curved front direct glaze do, except they bond the prescription lens into the curved glass, rather than use bluetac.

Yep and they don’t work in that style (wrap) with a strong prescription, oh and they cost a bit more.

Would still prefer a direct glaze option but that limits the choices. Here the lenses are as curved as a normal lens but the outer sunglass lens is more curved.

Originally i planned to seal the 2 lenses together, UV bond or silicone but my worry was getting any moisture inside the “double glazing” the blu tac idea was a temporary one just to make a trial and make sure the whole thing worked. Many months later it’s still like that and if needed i can remove and clean both sides. Definitely not elegant but it does work and in true CC saved me quite a few quid😉

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Yep and they don’t work in that style (wrap) with a strong prescription, oh and they cost a bit more.

Would still prefer a direct glaze option but that limits the choices. Here the lenses are as curved as a normal lens but the outer sunglass lens is more curved.

Originally i planned to seal the 2 lenses together, UV bond or silicone but my worry was getting any moisture inside the “double glazing” the blu tac idea was a temporary one just to make a trial and make sure the whole thing worked. Many months later it’s still like that and if needed i can remove and clean both sides. Definitely not elegant but it does work and in true CC saved me quite a few quid😉

Extreme eyewear will glaze wrap arounds up to around a - 7 prescription at a cost of course.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru

View attachment 712978

View attachment 712977

That's a great work around. I'd take a patent out on that if I were you.

That's a great work around. I'd take a patent out on that if I were you.

US20120308784A1 suggests prior art may be an issue 😂

Top Bottom