Cycling Specific Glasses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richardfm

Veteran
Every time I go out on my bike my eyes water. I arrive with tears streaming down my face and tear stains on the lenses of my glasses.
Would wrap around cycling glasses prevent or lessen this? If so can anyone recommend a supplier for varifocals?

pawl

Legendary Member
I use Optilabs You will need your current prescription.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I think you might be searching for the (expensive?) Holy Grail?

I use/need glasses for long distance sight like driving and watching TV etc so could ideally use them when cycling but this is not essential as I have sufficient vision to manage without issues. It's (legally) border line for driving so common sense dictates I do wear them for that.

Cycling can/does sometimes induce watery/streaming eyes which mixed in with heavy sweat causes glasses issues but to be honest, trying various styles of cycling specific, standard prescription glasses or a mixture of sunglasses has not altered or affected the results of this. I find the best option for me when optimal eyesight is required (fast mountain biking) is to wear contact lenses so regardless of sweat/eye watering I can remove glasses and still see where I am heading with full detail. I haven't found any particular type/style of glasses that are any better than the rest in this respect.

YMMV.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
https://sportsglasses.online/product/breakaway/

I need glasses with varifocals all the time, (contacts don't give me the reading bit and I don't find them comfy for all day anyway)
I find the above brilliant as a one shop fit all solution as i have the varifocal and the photochromic/ faster transitions options, so sun or shade or inside I can see and read.

That said I didn't have much of an eye streaming issues with just regular prescription sunglasses, but this negates the need to have to swap glasses when indoor or on dark days etc, plus they also fit better under my ski visor helmet being shaped to the head.

I would recommend you test out the eyestreaming bit with a cheaper solution before spending the thick end of £300 though

Jody

Stubborn git
£2.99 safety spex from Screwfix.

Quite a close fit and cheap enough to throw when they get damaged.

Your eyes will still stream but a lot less if the sit close.

Tom B

Guru
Back in the day, when I was a kid and mountain biking had just become a thing.....

....Skiing was also becoming a thing and one of the biggest names in ski equipment was Rivington Ski, based in our home town.

The old man solved the mud, flies and rain in the eyes problem by buying us both Ski Masks, in neon colours.

Looked ridiculous, but worked, even if it was hot and sweaty.... Gave interesting tan lines too

1682343231865.png

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I've found https://www.spex4less.com/ extremely helpful and efficient.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
If you do end up opting for prescription glasses/goggles etc., then it's often best (significantly cheaper that is) to buy a blank frame that works for you and use a reglazing service like reglazemyspex or ano.

vickster

Legendary Member
You can get direct glazed part rimmed sports frames. I use Transition Oakleys from Extreme Eyewear, not cheap though at £300-400 for single vision Rx lenses . Non transitions cost less.
Rx sport another retailer

The full framed ones are far too plasticky and heavy/ugly imo!

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

richardfm

Veteran
Thanks for all your responses. I bought a pair of these https://www.screwfix.com/p/bolle-overlight-clear-lens-overspecs-large/5604f
So far I have only warn them for two short rides. While not curing the problem completely they have made a huge difference. I think I need to use them for longer rides in colder, windier, weather to be sure
One possible drawback might be that they become uncomfortable on longer rides. I could feel them pinching slightly on my nose.

Top Bottom