Priority seat in a train

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
You could have kicked off at them but you'd probably end up in A and E. Not worth it.
That's what I thought. My wife said that had she been on her own she would have said something. A lone woman with a baby might just have been able to embarrass them into moving.

If it was a supermarket you should have got them to announce it over the speaker system that they needed to removed their car!!! I wonder if the supermarket would do that if asked?
It was Meadowhall shopping centre. I did consider telling customer services but couldn't really be bothered.

You didn't feel like doing this then?

Coincidentally, they were right behind us on the way out. I get the impression they may have wanted to change lanes so they could turn left. We assessed the situation and came to the conclusion that it would be unsafe to allow them to do so*.

*Before anyone has a go, they indicated very late, we had priority and for them to change lanes would have required us to significantly alter our course, right before a junction. It was their bad driving that put them in that position. To let them change lanes would honestly have been more dangerous than making them stay where they were.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Thats always annoying if non child carrying cars park in the child spots. but the wife was shopping with 2 of our young grandchildren and I went to pick her up I parked in the child spot as I knew we would need the space when putting them in their seats,I was berrated in no uncertain terms that I was in the wrong by a very irate young women, I kept calm and explained the situation she didn't know what to say, so I am always a bit wary of saying anything.
Yes, it's always worth establishing the facts before having a go at people. I have a friend who occasionally gets abuse for parking in disabled spaces. I guess her prosthetic leg is difficult to notice under her trousers, and she has learned to walk on it pretty well.

Drago

Legendary Member
Absolutely. Challenge them, but do so discretely and politely, preserve their dignity if they area genuine user. My missus has MS and we get occasional stick using disabled bays etc. For some reason I used to get loads of grief parking my old pickup truck on them - it seems you're not allowed to have a disabled wife if you drive a jacked up pick up painted in DPM colours.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Absolutely. Challenge them, but do so discretely and politely, preserve their dignity if they area genuine user. My missus has MS and we get occasional stick using disabled bays etc. For some reason I used to get loads of grief parking my old pickup truck on them - it seems you're not allowed to have a disabled wife if you drive a jacked up pick up painted in DPM colours.
It shouldn't be necessary to challenge anyone over a disability though. If they're displaying a valid blue badge then they're entitled. Parent and child works on good faith.

There are spaces in the Q-Park in Sheffield (the cheese grater) that have the parent & child symbol on the wall but the disabled symbol on the floor. I have no idea if I'm allowed to park there or not.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Legendary Member
What about the person already in the priority seat? Did you question them closely to check whether they're meant to be there?

Well, no, and you are right. But this happened dthree days in a row, 2 priority seats available, both filled, all 6 occupants never got up, and at all times they were the last seats to be used (meaning as the train pulled into each station and the seats slowly started filling up, the priority seats were the last to get filled, so it seems too much coincidence that those sitting on the priority seats were there not because the seats were required, but because they were available).

D

Deleted member 26715

After 37 years of being a downtrodden straight white male, I'm finally at the point where I get priority for something. Parent and child parking, suckers! But pissed off at the two lads in the BMW who took the last space from under our nose the other week. My wife wanted me to go and say something but I didn't see how that would achieve anything. They clearly knew what they were doing and didn't give a shoot. Should I have kicked off at them?
Why just because you decided to breed should you be allowed to have a wider car parking spot?

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Legendary Member
I live in the sticks and have never heard of priority seats until this thread popped up. :ohmy:

It was only 2 years ago that I heard of Boris Bikes too - my S-I-L on a visit here was wittering on about them and Lovely Wife & I had no idea what she was on about.

Simple folk hereabouts.
I think we shouldnt need priority seats. People SHOULD be decent enough to offer their seat.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
What about the person already in the priority seat? Did you question them closely to check whether they're meant to be there?
Indeed ... I got some filthy looks for not giving up my seat to people who were only about 65 years old and who appeared to be in good health. I was then only recently out of hospital, my leg was still painfully swollen, and I was struggling to breathe, so my need was probably greater than theirs!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
It is possible for children to get out of a car without hitting the next door car with their door. That ability doesn't magically appear when they turn 18.
I've been in car parks when I've had very little space and trying to keep my fingers between the door and the next car. But when they are small that extra space that a parent space gives you is very useful. Mine are long past that stage now. My point was that it wasn't only for the benefit of the parent but also the neighbouring car too!

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Legendary Member
Thats always annoying if non child carrying cars park in the child spots. but the wife was shopping with 2 of our young grandchildren and I went to pick her up I parked in the child spot as I knew we would need the space when putting them in their seats,I was berrated in no uncertain terms that I was in the wrong by a very irate young women, I kept calm and explained the situation she didn't know what to say, so I am always a bit wary of saying anything.
One of my cars is a rather wide two seater where the doors open upwards. Parking that in a parents slot gets all sorts of remarks until I take my kid out the passenger seat. :smile:

Top Bottom