Proposed changes to e-bike regulations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In agreement with CyclingUK’s response that they have put much more eloquently than I would have.

Its been discussed here before. Seeing as 250W assists my near 20 stone adonnis like form up hills with aplomb one wonders from where comes the imperative for 500W?

Exactly
I am hardly either fit or light but I can get my current legal ebike up "The Big Hill"
OK - only just - but if I ride every week - or even several times a week - then magically it becomes a lot easier

OK - getting up steeper hill would be difficult - but that is what gears are for and after that you can walk - that is what the "walk assist" is for (if the Bosch one worked properly on mine!!!)

Anyway - count me as a "it's OK as it is vote"

I will respond to the online form
and write to my MP
and Steve Rotherham - as I have just got Postal Vote through the letter box and he wants me to vote for him!

and -errr - I dunno - but I suggest people on here do the same - although probably not to Rotherham if they are not in the Liverpool City REgion (i.e. Merseyside with little Halton nailed to the side not that anyone ever remembers!!!!)

must stop woffling

It'd mean any e-assist bike bought in the UK wouldn't be legal outside of it.

It is also likely to make them more expensive due to development costs for a small market.

Just tried to fill in the form
Typed loads of text in giving reasons and all that

and it just went back to one of the first question with blank fields again

I'll try tomorrow!

classic33

Leg End Member
Just tried to fill in the form
Typed loads of text in giving reasons and all that

and it just went back to one of the first question with blank fields again

I'll try tomorrow!
Try copying and pasting from a word document. One where you've got your answers ready for each question.
Your answers are saved in the word document just in case the form goes blank again.

classic33

Leg End Member
It is also likely to make them more expensive due to development costs for a small market.
Also worth bearing in mind that the VED on electric vehicles changes next year. E-bikes that currently fall outside of the current EPAC regulations, may well fall within the class of vehicle liable for VED.

If a company the size of DHL can't get e-assist quads to work, at a profit, in Europe how does an individual?
Velove disposed of all their unsold Armadillo's* two years ago. No further production is planned.
The cargo cycle part is a red herring.

*The quadricycle DHL were using in European trials. US laws prevent Quadricycle being e-assist.

Gunk

Guru
The government proposes 2 changes to existing regulations:

• to amend the legal definition of how EAPCs are classified so that the maximum continuous rated power of the electric motor must not exceed 500 watts instead of 250 watts as set out in the current regulations
  • to allow ‘twist and go’ EAPCs to have throttle assistance up to 15.5mph (25km/h) without the need for type approval
I’m guessing that because the above is essentially what 75% of Deliveroo riders already use, the change in the law just means that overnight they all become legal and no need to enforce the offence of riding an illegal e-bike.

Top Bottom