Current e-bike wattage.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes - but it looks like they are consulting on increasing that to 500W

Personally - and I know others have different opinions - I think the 250W is enough

One of the most important things is that the consultation says that the 15 mph motor cut off is not being changed - or considered for it

The comments about how it would affect the consideration of an ebike as "just a bike" is the important bit to me

OP
OP
albion

albion

Guru
I know. The report erroneously reports on an increase in acceleration which is obviously wrong.

All this will do is increase motor weight, that defining the continous wattage available.

250w is also fine for me.

Regard the comments in the article about cargo/family bikes - these are all issues that are solved with better gearing not larger motors. I recently transported bricks (in a trailer) using my bike, I reckon I was hauling 60-80kg. A crawler gear was definately needed when setting off or up 1 hill but otherwise when moving I was using the same settings as I do normally, momentum was more helpful than a larger motor.

The comments about how it would affect the consideration of an ebike as "just a bike" is the important bit to me

Thats exactly my main concern. Any change to e-bike that forces me into registration, insurance etc will instantly turn me away from e-bikes. This is nothing to do with unwillingness to register, get insurance (I already have 3rd party liability) etc but the police's lack of action towards dealing with the current abundance of illegal electric motorbikes. It gives me no motivation to comply with such a law should it come into force so I'll simply go back to a bike that doesn't need to comply.

OP
OP
albion

albion

Guru
No, I simply see a consultation where the outcome is already there, logically.

Will cost a fair few million no doubt so it is certainly another one for financially lucky committee members.

In my opinion there is little point in consulting on rules that are not currently enforced anyway

if they introduce a new set of rules then how will that make a difference?
It is a bit like changing the drink drive limits but withdrawing all the breathalysers from Police patrol cars

better off finding a way to enforce the current rules rather than consulting on new ones
IMO

anyway - lets not go all "NACA" - but I feel a letter to my MP coming on!!!

a.twiddler

Veteran
Yes - but it looks like they are consulting on increasing that to 500W

Personally - and I know others have different opinions - I think the 250W is enough

One of the most important things is that the consultation says that the 15 mph motor cut off is not being changed - or considered for it

Too true. More watts =less range =heavier battery to maintain range and a danger that ebikes will lose their special status and simplicity of use as bicycles. Did this consultation arise because someone said "something must be done" because they're confused about headlines in the newspapers misreporting illegally ridden electric motorbikes as ebikes, being involved in crime or accidents? Stranger things have happened.
Although I don't have an ebike at present it would be good to have that option still available for the future without some idiot politician messing it up in a kneejerk reaction to misinformed headlines.

To get a full fat motorcycle licence nowadays involves jumping through hoops involving low powered bikes to start with. Fortunately I got my motorcycle licence years ago and though I still enjoy blatting about on a motorbike I enjoy the essentially unregulated freedom and simplicity of cycling. I would hate to see ebikes become removed from that simplicity and become over regulated with licence insurance tax etc requirements, and the rest as @wiggydiggy says.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It doesn't matter what wattage these bikes have or have a throttle or not. The majority of riders here in London (& I guess most other places) illegally hack them to go faster, much faster. I have seen some seriously fast e-bikes on the roads. Many without pedalling.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
15mph cut-off is fine with me, but I think 500w is also fine. It would enable you to go 12-15mph up a decent hill. When I had mine, I could easily maintain 15mph on the flat but would struggle to do 5mph up a steep hill. It cuts out at 15mph anyway

Personally I think the current situation is fine - or would be if it was enforced

Once you start increasing things then we could get a "thin end of wedge" situation and end up with "ebikes" only being treated as bike some of the time
e.g. being banned from a lot of paths and trails but still allowed on cycle paths alongside roads
or something

I feel it is better to leave well enough alone and start by enforcing what we currently have

Top Bottom