Current e-bike wattage.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
Basically, I think that e-bikes should help people ride like cyclists. If they want to ride like motorcyclists then be motorcyclists!
If I was buying one, I'd want something that supplements the effort from my legs, including stationary torque, with a set percentage of assist, so that it just feels like riding an ordinary bike, but with less effort.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Over the past few years of commuting in SE London and seeing the rise of E-Bikles I have only ever seen the police do a stop and seize once. The likelyhood of them getting stopped is near zero methinks.

Agree, but considering them bikes when they clearly are not, doesn’t do the rest of us any good. They ought to be called out for what they are.

Over the past few years of commuting in SE London and seeing the rise of E-Bikles I have only ever seen the police do a stop and seize once. The likelyhood of them getting stopped is near zero methinks.

I've seen one anecdotal comment 5 months ago on social media that police were 'picking up bikes outside nandos' in Leeds, thats the only time I've heard of any action being taken near me.

Dadam

If I was buying one, I'd want something that supplements the effort from my legs, including stationary torque, with a set percentage of assist, so that it just feels like riding an ordinary bike, but with less effort.

Many bikes that are controlled by a torque sensor rather than (or along with) a cadence sensor meet these requirements. They're usually mid motor. The "e-MTB" setting on my, er, e-MTB is like that. Very natural feeling, instant assist from zero.

I know that on my Raleigh Motus, when I start off there is no assist until the "system" realises that I have started. Hence it can be difficult to start if I come to a stop on a very steep hill
COmbined with this is the fact that I have never - and can never see me - used 7th gear, even on a steep downhill. By the time I get up to that sort of speed (around 30mph) I am concentrating on not coming off and am more likely to want the brakes than to pedal harder!!!

Hence - loosing 7th gear and adding an extra low gear would be useful - which, of course, could be done with a different chain ring I suppose!
But that would mean that instead of spending most of my ride in 4th gear (the gear where I am doing around 15.5 mph) then I am in 5th gear which means the chain is at an angle between the chain ring and the gear

anyway - just some thought!

Jody

Stubborn git
If the cut-off is still 15mph then the only advantage over a conventinoal bicycle is up hills where you're not going to be going fast anyway.

That's the fun of E-MTB's. Charging uphill on single tracks

You hardly have to pedal when it's on boost setting but you sure have to hang on

Dadam

That's the fun of E-MTB's. Charging uphill on single tracks

You hardly have to pedal when it's on boost setting but you sure have to hang on going uphill

I find it more fun than going downhill, I'm too much of a wuss to descend fast on rough terrain!

As a pedelec user with 850w i find it very practical and useful. I carry a descent amount of gear with me, can dress reasonably for the weather and still maintain a good average speed over a commute. That was one of the reasons i switched from using a car, hardly takes any longer and i get some exercise at the same time.

If you want people to ditch cars then then they’ll need more than 250w is my feeling

OP
OP
albion

albion

Guru
Nope, the 70 or 80nm ebikes will already be at or above 500 watts. I suspect that when the system finds that high power is needed to sustain speed it gets classed as 'temporary' which it obviously is.
250 watts sustains 15 mph anyway on the flat, thus no change actually needed unless they increase speed limits.

But yes, mass ditching cars needs higher speeds.

a.twiddler

Veteran
As a pedelec user with 850w i find it very practical and useful. I carry a descent amount of gear with me, can dress reasonably for the weather and still maintain a good average speed over a commute. That was one of the reasons i switched from using a car, hardly takes any longer and i get some exercise at the same time.

If you want people to ditch cars then then they’ll need more than 250w is my feeling

Surely, if in Switzerland, the legislation is in line with EU rules so isn't what you have technically a moped, with all that implies?

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I agree
I have seen a tendancy in the press recently of reducing the number of times that an illegal "ebike" is referred to as simply an ebike
which tends to make people think that they are all the same

I know it it is not "scientific" evidence, but, anecdotally, I would support that view. I have grown bored with the number of times I have to explain to none cycling acquaintances that you do actually have to pedal the currently available (legal) e-bikes. IMHO, as with many things the level of ignorance on the part of the "general public" (including our esteemed leaders) on the subject of e-bikes is astounding.

Top Bottom