Proposed changes to e-bike regulations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It is also likely to make them more expensive due to development costs for a small market.

The regs are different in the USA and Canada - I suspect they will be able to use some of the bike from there

and a lot of ebikes made for purely Mountain Bike trails are more powerful than is allowed on the roads - so they - and their equipment - could then be legal on roads

Slick

Guru
To be fair, illegal users will always push the boundaries and therefore always be on the wrong side of the law.

I don't think its such a bad idea to increase the power for those that would need it, as long as the speed limiter remains in place.

More bikes means more infrastructure and less cars means there's less chance of one hitting me. :okay:

If they can't enforce the law / regulations then they might as well change them to match closer to what is already out there breaking the regulations. Or is that top cynical?

If they can't enforce the law / regulations then they might as well change them to match closer to what is already out there breaking the regulations. Or is that top cynical?

But a lot I have seen are more like 1000W

so do we legalise that instead?

and anyway - the speed limiter is probably the easiest thing to "cheat" and set to a higher speed - there are lots of youtube videos even for Bosch which is supposed to be the most locked down

classic33

Leg End Member
Difference is in China they execute you for that sort of thing. Now, that is a teensy bit extreme, but the UKs stance of "decriminalise by inaction" is too far the other way.
Maybe with the changes in VED next year, it'll be a case of prove your bike is an e-assist, within the current regulations, or start paying.

Notable in the piece linked to is that its emphasis seems to be on cargo bikes. Not your ordinary bike or trike. Somehow I don't think a padded bag on your back whilst cycling would count as a cargo bike.

albion

Guru
The cargo bike thing is weird, many simply being a ever so slightly stronger bike.
MAD marketing I guess.

classic33

Leg End Member
The cargo bike thing is weird, many simply being a ever so slightly stronger bike.
MAD marketing I guess.
MAD maybe, but it does provide a clear distinction. There's a few European E-assist cargo bike manufacturers, with a few international delivery companies using pedal cycles for the "Last Mile" delivery. Many of those cycles fall outside the current epac regulations.

Alex321

Veteran
MAD marketing I guess.

Most of them aren't just "ever so slightly stronger bikes", and in fact I think any which are being sold as cargo bikes which fit that description are being mis-sold.

Cargo bikes properly are a different shape, with a lot more space (and appropriate lugs) available for attaching carriers of some form. It isn;'t just extra strength that is needed, the extra load space is just as important.

500w motor will need bigger batterys, I'll stick to my 250w and low gearing to get me up hills - 14.1 inches is my lowest

Most of the high powered e-mountain bikes with mid-drive motors have controllers between 20-25A delivering up to 900W when climbing hills etc. The way legislation is written in Europe is the motor just has to operate at 250W it doesn't have to be restricted to it. It is perhaps the weirdest legislation ever to come out of Europe. Most ebike legislation in the world is written with regard how much the controller provides in power to the motor same as most other devices with electric motors that have a controller which brushless motors require. The issue is will the new legislation be written as per sensible legislation in how much power the controller sends to the motor in which case 500W would be a huge reduction in power compared to many store bought e-mountain bikes with mid-drive motors or is it going to be written that the motor just has to operate at 500W but can exceed it so we end up with e-mountain bikes delivering 1800W of power.

Surely there is no one in this forum that doesn't realise that 250W rating is just a random wattage figure of no meaning. You have weak little Assist ebikes in Halfords with 24V batteries and can only muster about 12-15Nm in torque at best and you have e-mountain bikes delivering around 100Nm of torque all called 250W. It's like have a 50cc moped and a 3000cc motorbike and calling both a 500cc motorbike it makes no sense the only difference is both the moped and the motorbike would have the same speed restriction to be comparable to ebikes.

We need to get to sensible and fair legislation which can be enforced properly by the police without a degree in electrical engineering. The controller is the obvious and simplest way of stating ebike power and this is used in most places in the world.

As for China twist and go throttles are the norm and lead acid gel batteries are commonly used without the fire risk but I believe they have a weight restriction of 20kg on ebikes. A weight restriction seems quite sensible to me and with lead acid gel batteries I wouldn't of thought 20kg leaves much margin for overbuilding ebikes.

If we want to create new legislation which is sensibly written based on the controller and not make existing ebikes illegal then really we should be looking at around 850-900W as the new maximum wattage. I can't see how they can they can limit ebikes to 500W controllers and allow existing ebikes that are close to 900W staying legal.

Top Bottom