Psychological safety aid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Indigo one

Indigo one

Regular
Why so serious?

Attachments

• 20140825_182003.jpg
    20140825_182003.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 51

siadwell

Guru
I posted on here a while ago about some research I'd come across by Honda. They had been experimenting with the layout of lights on their mopeds and motorbikes and found that they got the best recognition response when the the lights were positioned to represent the eyes and mouth of a human face.

http://world.honda.com/ASV/motorcycle/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Indigo one

Indigo one

Regular
Ok
From what I have discovered so far its not colour that results in high visibility its contrast relative to the background...hence why the zebra stripes worked so well...so it seems the key is to clash with your surroundings...incorporating a recognised pattern enhances the effect by making it register in the brain longer...

Batgirl

In Disguise!
Really interesting thread - when you look at the attraction to patterns of babies, it's possible certainly that a patterned bike would evoke more interest.
The subconcious may well be merely noting something 'different' as mentioned in the clown effect, but if it gets a persons attention more and that person is driving a car then it can only be a good thing.

As a horse rider, I'm open to high vis, and have plans to add tape / reflective strips etc to my bike. I have only just yesterday ordered reflective tyres so was discussing it following seeing a picture of a bike with them on.

There are high vis horse vests now with a 'smile you're on camera' and a small camera in the back of the vest - I often wonder if people will take the time to read them, I've been first and last out hacking on horse back and it's often a different experience being the last rider in a group or 2 even, let alone solo hacking when your horse is often more heightened anyhow.

But back to bikes - the wide aspect of panniers is a good point and one to take into account I think - along with what we wear and how our bikes look. I have noticed a trend in some current bikes for all black which does seem a bit odd. Fair enough if it is reflective already, but seems odd to me otherwise.

Interesting stuff overall though.

HovR

Über Member
I do wonder though if a pair of eyes on the back of a jersey might have some effect? I've read of this psychological technique being used on posters to stop thieves (including bike thieves).

Interesting. I'd noticed some of the bike racks around town near me feature theft deterrent signs with a large pair of eyes on them, however I wasn't aware there was some phsycology behind this!

Not so much as unnoticed but it was designed to make it harder to figure out which end was which and which way it was steaming. Bit like an Escher drawing.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Ok
From what I have discovered so far its not colour that results in high visibility its contrast relative to the background...hence why the zebra stripes worked so well...so it seems the key is to clash with your surroundings...incorporating a recognised pattern enhances the effect by making it register in the brain longer...
Except that as I've already said, the bike frame is invisible to motorists unless they are coming at you broadside, quite a rare collision. It's what clothes you wear determine how visible you are, something the fashionable all black brigade would do well to heed when they are out on gloomy morning rides.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Ok
One personal take on this is HiViz clothing. Nowadays the high street is overwhelmed by Fluoro yellows and neon orange, space-lemon and retina searing lime. Everybody in a risk-assessed job or activity appears to have to wear it. Crossing patrols wardens, street sweepers, police, paramedics, crocodiles of school kids, breakdown truck drivers, window cleaners, the list is endless. Te danger then is that HiViz actually makes you blend into the background.

Psychologically speaking HiViz appears now not only to be the norm, but I also believe triggers an anonymity of the wearer. Yu see someone in HiViz and you see the clothing, and immediately associate it with a job or position of authority. You then link that with the task, not the person, so the wearer becomes depersonalised. Consider then the reaction to cyclists. The HiViz helmeted cyclist is seen as a cyclist ; the sort of person demonised by click-bait journalists, and as they appear to be equipped and shielded from harm, drivers possibly take less care. If on the other hand you were to see the nice lady from the village post office sailing serenely by in a summer dress with her hair flowing in the breeze, you are more likely to associate her with who she is, not what she's doing. Statistically no more vulnerable than the weekend warrior or MAMIL, she becomes, or remains a person the eyes of the driver, and is potentially afforded more care or consideration.

I suppose then a stand-out bike draws attention. A left-field colour scheme and way-out appearance creates a personality that may or may not bleed into the image of the person riding it. That purple hardtail with green tyres says far more about the rider than your run of the mill black framed hybrid, and so the association with a fellow human being is reinforced.

OP
OP
Indigo one

Indigo one

Regular
All things considered...yes the cycle itself is a relatively small surface area but patterns are more benificial than colour so it seems the way to go might be either a face or eyes...or something a motorist would be looking out for ...a speed camera sign for example
Your suggestions are most welcome. ..

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I'm sure I've read here that somebody (it may have been @Cycling Dan ?) has a Spiderman suit he's cycled in, whoever it was certainly gave the impression that they were very noticable indeed.

upandover

Guru
I met a vicar with shoulder length white hair, and a lot of it. She found that she got a lot more space when people could see her hair (no hat or helmet), which she attributed to people seeing a 'little old lady' on a bike and giving her a lot of room...

Which is by way of agreeing that being seen as a person makes all the difference. I think this also goes with waving thanks etc....

S

I met a vicar with shoulder length white hair, and a lot of it. She found that she got a lot more space when people could see her hair (no hat or helmet), which she attributed to people seeing a 'little old lady' on a bike and giving her a lot of room...

Which is by way of agreeing that being seen as a person makes all the difference. I think this also goes with waving thanks etc....

S

Sadly the research does support this.
The DfT did research that showed drivers acted according to their interpretation of risk.

Drivers were shown to believe that cyclists wearing helmets and HiViz were "competent" and therefore there was no need to slow down or move out when passing them!

Top Bottom