Raleigh Lizard, remember them?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PoweredByVeg

Über Member
Picked up this Raleigh Lizard off the local freecycle, it was very dusty and the chrome rims were a bit rusty :sad:

Luckily the drive train had no wear and the frame was rust free, so after a really good clean it's come up quite well and the chrome rims have responded well to a good Autosol'ing :thumbsup:

Next question is, why did I actually get it?:wacko:

gallery_15489_192_178564.jpg

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
there's still at least a couple of those knocking about this neck of the woods.

ugly bike but 100% theft proof :thumbsup:

A Mustang with green paint instead of red/black

I had one. 23" frame. I'm 5'8" and was probably an inch or so shorter*. Wonder why I couldnt handle it off-road at all?

2.125 chrome steel rims that were so wide they were weakened and buckled/dented if you hit so much as a piece of fish-tank gravel

Lee Chi cantilevers with a rear brake (partly due to the silly long internal cable run) that were as effective at stopping as sticking a mackerel through the spokes

Annoying quill stem with cable stop built in so adjusting handlebars meant adjusting brakes

I still loved it - until I bent it. Took me about 6 weeks to kill it! :laugh:

*(parents doing the usual "must buy child biggest bike he can possibly fit on with seat as low as it can go - if seat is rased then bicycle is too small")

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
My borther had one as his first courier bike, it did sterling service or a couple of years until the frame went "crabby". No-one ever attempted to nick it!

Garz

Squat Member
I loved mine, outgrew it for a racer when I was about 11. Re-used it a few years later before trading it in for a BMX in the good old younger days.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I looked at them when they were new but ended up buying a Mirage ( i think ) The dark purple with black rims which soon became silver after some braking ! Good until the rear drop out snapped which was not an issue due to Raleigh's 15 year guarantee !

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
I've still got mine, had it from new back in 92 I think it was. Got a smiley face wheel disc fitted to the rear wheel, neon green saddle, neon green padded cross bar protector, put suspension forks on it, changed the wheels to aluminium ones and put v-brakes on it. Put slicks on it and ride it in the summer when I'm out with the kids. I love mine never get rid if it!

suterman

Hello, newbie here.

I just rescued this Lizard from a skip, It still had the original wheels and everything else apart from the seatpost and saddle. which was missing.

I pinched the seat off my Puch cavalier for now, got a set off used wheels off ebay, kind of bodged the rear brake for now and its good to go, I need to get another chain though as this one is too short for the top front ring. I had to get the seat way up high to give my legs a chance to straighten so they can work a full stroke if you know what I mean (is that normal?) , I'm not a serious cyclist and will only use it for a bit of exercise and local mud so its fine for me.

DSC08046.jpg

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
The brake cable goes through the inside of the cross bar, it's internal that's one of the nice points of the lizard. If you undo the Allen key bolt on the top of the stem which the handle bars are attached to, you can higher the handle bars up about 3 inches. Your probably having to higher the saddle alot because the frame is to small for you. If you got some riser handle bars you'd achieve a bit more height compared to the flat bars which are on it. You'd then find it probably more comfortable to ride.

suterman

ok ta pj79lizard, I hadn't noticed that about the cable, now re-routed through frame. I sorted the chain now by adding a few links. More fiddling with the front brakes, I got it adjusted nice and tight and they were working well but on testing in the shed (luckily not on the road) the front cable shroud split right open! so now I need a new shroud.

Top Bottom