Recommend me a coffee grinder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Having bought and returned a hand powered coffee grinder from Aldi... I'm now left with a bag of beans.

I could grind them one by one using a hammer, which would have been quicker than using the hand powered coffee grinder from Aldi, but I'd like my freshly ground coffee a little sooner than that.

:smile:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you haven’t got a blender then buy one that comes with a coffee grinder attachment.

Alternatively get a coffee making machine which incorporates a grinder.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
When the switch on my Krups fell apart about 6 months ago I bought a Sboly, which is much better, with proper conical burrs.
Very satisfied with it so far. This one is branded Cooze (sounds rude!) but looks to be the same model.
Amazon product ASIN B09S5T7GB3View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stainless-Adjustable-Settings-Electric-Percolator/dp/B09S5T7GB3/ref=sr_1_5?adgrpid=1173179805146081&hvadid=73323944074292&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=132793&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvtargid=kwd-73323874982647%3Aloc-188&hydadcr=19146_2225575&keywords=sboly+coffee+grinder&qid=1648376046&sr=8-5

The switch weakness on the Krups is a common failure point, and a shoddy design. Mine can probably be got back into working order with a bit of appropriate plastic and some ingenuity when I can be bothered, but it's an inferior design - not proper burrs!

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
When the switch on my Krups fell apart about 6 months ago I bought a Sboly, which is much better, with proper conical burrs.
Very satisfied with it so far. This one is branded Cooze (sounds rude!) but looks to be the same model.
Amazon product ASIN B09S5T7GB3View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stainless-Adjustable-Settings-Electric-Percolator/dp/B09S5T7GB3/ref=sr_1_5?adgrpid=1173179805146081&hvadid=73323944074292&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=132793&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvtargid=kwd-73323874982647%3Aloc-188&hydadcr=19146_2225575&keywords=sboly+coffee+grinder&qid=1648376046&sr=8-5

The switch weakness on the Krups is a common failure point, and a shoddy design. Mine can probably be got back into working order with a bit of appropriate plastic and some ingenuity when I can be bothered, but it's an inferior design - not proper burrs!
£32 inc P&P on fleabay... bit big though.
I like the dimensions of @Tribansman 's Cuisinart grinder, but that's more than what I want to spend.

I know I know you get what you pay for but there are limits :smile:

I have one of these - Gaggia

https://productz.com/en/gaggia-mdf/p/X6z5A
(no - not a pic of mine or doilies)
It's excellent - built like a tank - weighs as much as some folks' bikes maybe

Mega range of settings, though I mainly use just 2 - one for the gaggia classic and another for the stove-top.

Costs rather a lot - brought mine back from Italy when airline weight limits were more generous - got it cheap from a supermarket.

Will probably last you a lifetime though and you can buy bags of beans cheap from Lidl -quite often on offer.

Recommended as is all Gaggia old stuff - more like heavy engineering than kitchen tat)

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I have one of these - Gaggia
View attachment 637289

https://productz.com/en/gaggia-mdf/p/X6z5A
(no - not a pic of mine or doilies)
It's excellent - built like a tank - weighs as much as some folks' bikes maybe

Mega range of settings, though I mainly use just 2 - one for the gaggia classic and another for the stove-top.

Costs rather a lot - brought mine back from Italy when airline weight limits were more generous - got it cheap from a supermarket.

Will probably last you a lifetime though and you can buy bags of beans cheap from Lidl -quite often on offer.

Recommended as is all Gaggia old stuff - more like heavy engineering than kitchen tat)

Favoured by Guardian readers and pretty much de rigueur when you have a Vespa. :becool:

I remember a time when coffee was not in the British vocabulary and I even entered cafes in the 1990s that did not serve coffee. The Italians were certainly ahead of the game. Having conquered the World and there was a time when the sun never sets on the empire and we had no excuse. How can you not notice the excellent aroma of freshly ground coffee.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I have a Krups with 2 pots (one for spices) that has no switch.
It grinds when you press the pot after engaging it on the body.
Can't link because I bought it quite a few years ago from a local shop.
Works perfectly on Aldi, Lavazza and Co-op beans.
Finely grind for mocha machines (stove top or electric), loosely grind for the Aldi filter machine ^_^

Top Bottom