Recommend me where to cycle in Spain in November (URGENT!!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I fly with Ryanair about 8 times a year and have never had a problem flying with them. Its simple if you know the system.

we had a return flight from Denmark to Malta for £11.

andym

Über Member
It will be nice if Jay comes back with his experiences before I press the button.

He did. I don't know how to link to a specific post, but all you need to do is to scroll up the page to his previous posts and follow the links.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
We are going off topic, but Ryanair make the whole thing really unpleasant, and in my experience not even cheap. I would only ever go with a bike with them as other trips are company paid, and they charge £100 return for the bike. £40 more than EZ. I also check in luggage as I cannot get all my kit into a small carry on bag.

A few years back I tried to book a flight for 7 people with Ryanair to Spain. The convenience of Bournemouth was going to be over £1100 for August, booking in Jan. EZ (ok from Luton) was £270.

I just looked at a return flight on both EZ and RY in march next year for STN to Palma with bike 20kg bag and choosing a seat. Ryanair was 219.98 and EZ 2p cheaper. On that basis, EZ every time!!

I note that Michael O Leary seems to be trying harder on the customer front though so I will keep an eye out!

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Jay - I found that very interesting and informative, and may well use that as a basis for a fortnight trip next November. I particularly liked the reference to the specific places you stayed at - very useful indeed.
I have ridden Gib to Madrid, and Madrid to Irun, plus Santander to Santiago de Compostela, and found campsites in Spain to be largely non-existent while hostels/hostels etc are frequent, clean, cheap and friendly. I would certainly never bother to take camping kit to Spain - as, in fact, you discovered.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Jay - I found that very interesting and informative, and may well use that as a basis for a fortnight trip next November. I particularly liked the reference to the specific places you stayed at - very useful indeed.
I have ridden Gib to Madrid, and Madrid to Irun, plus Santander to Santiago de Compostela, and found campsites in Spain to be largely non-existent while hostels/hostels etc are frequent, clean, cheap and friendly. I would certainly never bother to take camping kit to Spain - as, in fact, you discovered.
I got a Spanish sim card and used booking.com every time. Amazingly good app

Tourer man

OK so I have weekend booked in Seville with Mrs Jay Clock from 7-10 November. Return for her booked, and all I have booked is a single home on the Monday. Plan is (asap!) to book a single outbound on Sat 1st to somewhere in Southern Spain or Portugal and cycle to Seville in time for Friday morning (she arrives just after lunch). That gives me Sunday to Thurs as full cycling days

Under no circumstances will I use Ryanair. Easyjet or BA preferred, Direct flights only and from southern UK (I am in Winchester)

So options are (with distances based on car route - may do more but aiming at 80-100k in hills poss more on flat roads)

Almeria 405k
Faro 200k so would need a big loop north (and done it before)
Malaga (200k and done before when I did Malaga to Faro)
Gib 200k also done before but choice of routes
Lisbon 400+k
Seville and do a loop

WHAT DO YOU RECKON, and recommend some specific routes!!

Fire away
OK so I have weekend booked in Seville with Mrs Jay Clock from 7-10 November. Return for her booked, and all I have booked is a single home on the Monday. Plan is (asap!) to book a single outbound on Sat 1st to somewhere in Southern Spain or Portugal and cycle to Seville in time for Friday morning (she arrives just after lunch). That gives me Sunday to Thurs as full cycling days

Under no circumstances will I use Ryanair. Easyjet or BA preferred, Direct flights only and from southern UK (I am in Winchester)

So options are (with distances based on car route - may do more but aiming at 80-100k in hills poss more on flat roads)

Almeria 405k
Faro 200k so would need a big loop north (and done it before)
Malaga (200k and done before when I did Malaga to Faro)
Gib 200k also done before but choice of routes
Lisbon 400+k
Seville and do a loop

WHAT DO YOU RECKON, and recommend some specific routes!!

Fire away
I plan to do a similar route in September 2015, but will avoid the coastal roads around Malaga at all costs. They are lethal and littered with the Ghosts of previous riders.
We are cutting a perpendicular from Santander to Malaga then fly home.

Top Bottom