Recommendations for a non smart tv

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My issue with soundbars is more one of wires etc. I do not like unsightly wire clutter (so a battery powered bluetooth one is obviously the answer...)

I'll have a browse of Sony products, see if anything there floats my boat. 65" does seem immense but that's the recommended size for the viewing distance we'll have. I suspect however that our budget will be more of a deciding factor.... I'll just have to sit on the floor when I watch the tele.

How far away are you from the TV ?

figbat

Slippery scientist
You can get Bluetooth soundbars but I've never used one; but reading the reviews I think you get what you pay for in terms of easy connectivity and of course sound quality

My (limited) undertanding of these is that they still connect to the TV with a cable (HDMI, optical, whatever) but also have the ability for a phone or other device to connect via Bluetooth to use it as an external speaker. Also many come with a subwoofer that is connected via Bluetooth to the main speaker.

Or maybe I missed or misunderstood something.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Recommended by the manufacturer who want to sell you more? How big is your room?

We have a viewing distance of 4m and find 48" is plenty. I guess it's down to personal taste

When I were a lad an 18" telly was enormous - I grew up peering at a 14"er across the living room.

65" does seem huge though - we have a 50" and a 43" in two different rooms and despite having had them a while they still come across as big!

Here's quite a nice TV/distance calculator and some 'science' behind it. It seems our TVs are scientifically undersized! 😲

Pfffft we all know that Big Telly is the shadowy figure behind THAT calculator ! ;-)

I'm sure it won't be long before you can replace your windows with a huge TV. Have a HD camera on the outside so you can look out if you want, and the rest of the time there's no annoying daylight to spoil watching Neighbours in glorious UHD.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I’ve got 65” and wish I had gone 77”. The bigger the better for me.

1701868172066.png

vickster

Legendary Member
Can’t see the wires from my soundbar to TV (not wall mounted). I watch my 49” from around 8ft, plenty big enough for me
Excuse the dust!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 8

Dadam

Go for (proper) OLED if budget doesn't constrain you too much, and personally I'd go for a slightly smaller OLED screen over a larger LCD at the same price.

We have a 48" Hisense OLED, from a Costco bargain last Feb (£599!) and the screen is gorgeous. In-laws have a 48" LG OLED and screen quality is no better (LG make the OLED panels for Hisense, and a lot of other makes including Samsung since last summer). What is better on the in-laws' LG is the built in software; much more polished. However if you just want it to display external sources then that's less relevant.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Here's quite a nice TV/distance calculator and some 'science' behind it. It seems our TVs are scientifically undersized! 😲

I just measured the distance from where I sit to where the TV is. The distance calculator recommended an 86" TV. I find this rather hard to justify - I have a 49" and it's satisfactory at worst. If I had to replace the TV I would get a 55" and that would be an extravagance.

Top Bottom