Record Cadence Without Sensor?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mick1836

Über Member
Not sure if this has been asked before or if its a daft question?

Is there any way of roughly noting your cadence rate without going to expense of sensors and bike computer?

I know for example you to check your pulse you count over 15 seconds counting the number of beats then multiply x 4?

Perhaps riding counting & timing ALL at the same time could be to dangerous?

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
With a bit of practice, you can judge your cadence reasonably accurately.

Maybe get someone to film you riding 100m at different speeds in different gears, then compare how it felt with how it looks ?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Not sure if this has been asked before or if its a daft question?

Is there any way of roughly noting your cadence rate without going to expense of sensors and bike computer?

I know for example you to check your pulse you count over 15 seconds counting the number of beats then multiply x 4?

Perhaps riding counting & timing ALL at the same time could be to dangerous?
In practice calculating it like that is not dangerous if you pick a spot where you can get into a rhythm and where it's free from junctions, pot holes, phone-zombie pedestrians, etc. Because you'll need to keep an eye on the seconds in the last of the 15 it might be easier doing it the other way round: look at your timer once and count from there up to a given number, say 20, look at the timer again. If 15 seconds have elapsed, you're pedalling with a cadence of 80, for example. Of course it probably won't be 15 seconds but working it out will distract you from the pain for a good old while....

S-Express

You can do exactly the same thing with cadence. Just count the number of times one leg makes a full rotation and multiply it in the same way. Although, as someone else intimated, I don't get the fascination with it either. Your cadence is what it is, just like your heart rate - and just like your heart rate, it will vary according to what you are doing.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
If you know what gear you're in and what speed you're travelling at, you can work it out.

Which is how I know I managed 220rpm downhill on fixed once (many years ago – I don't think the aging legs would cope now).

steve50

Disenchanted Member
it can be useful for a few things, as @Ian H says if you know speed and gear it can be worked (though take his 220 down hill with a pinch of salt) you can also if the cad is known work out your gear which is useful for knowing what gear range is useful where you ride, for example say my avg cad is 75.5 and my avg sp is 13.55 (my average over the last 7 days) my average gear is 60.33 which on my current setup is 38x17 near enough which overall gives me a pretty straight chain line less wear on my running gear. It does vary depending on conditions and terrain last 7 days for instance I did 51ft/mile average.over the 67.59 miles, previous 7 days 92.75 miles 13.78mph avg, cad 78.2 avg, gear 59.21" avg, and elevation 45ft/mile.
To work it out (cad x 336)/ diameter of wheel.
When I was choosing what cassette and rings to put on (I have a 12-23 and a 12-27 and a 26/38/50 front) I went for a setup giving me about 60" as the centre line.

However I am a bit of a stats freek

no kidding!!!
Totally lost me by the third line....................
I ride my bike, I choose the gear that suits the road conditions and how strong I am feeling at the time, thats all the info I need.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
it can be useful for a few things, as @Ian H says if you know speed and gear it can be worked (though take his 220 down hill with a pinch of salt) you can also if the cad is known work out your gear which is useful for knowing what gear range is useful where you ride, for example say my avg cad is 75.5 and my avg sp is 13.55 (my average over the last 7 days) my average gear is 60.33 which on my current setup is 38x17 near enough which overall gives me a pretty straight chain line less wear on my running gear. It does vary depending on conditions and terrain last 7 days for instance I did 51ft/mile average.over the 67.59 miles, previous 7 days 92.75 miles 13.78mph avg, cad 78.2 avg, gear 59.21" avg, and elevation 45ft/mile.
To work it out (cad x 336)/ diameter of wheel.
When I was choosing what cassette and rings to put on (I have a 12-23 and a 12-27 and a 26/38/50 front) I went for a setup giving me about 60" as the centre line.

However I am a bit of a stats freek
:wacko:

Top Bottom