Replacing 'internally routed' gear cable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
Google park tools IR1
Or hit the link above your post.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Go to your local hydraulics supplier and get a metre of Cunifer (copper-nickel-iron) brake pipe, 3.5mm outside and 1.5mm inside diameter, nice and bendy, feed it through the frame and out the end. Sorted. I've also used 6mm copper plumbing pipe but the brake pipe is easier.

bpsmith

Veteran
Oh ya f that is spendy !
Depends on how difficult your frame is, how many bikes you have, and how often you replace cables.

If you have a real struggle getting it sorted then £45 is nothing, if it saves hassle and frustration. The more the kit is used, the cheaper it becomes.

I wasn't looking forward to doing by Bianchi in the Summer, as had never done it before. Toyed with buying the kit, but gave it a go first. I managed to get the cables into the frame fine, but getting them out of the letterbox exit from the frame was tricky on first go. Took a step back and made a simple deflector from a plastic lid from washing machine tablet box. Literally a strip narrow enough to fit the opening and just long enough to hold and reach the other side of the frame. Second attempt saw the cables emerge from said opening with ease.

Had this not worked after a dozen attempts, then I would have no doubt bought the kit without complaint. The right tools make the job simple.

DRHysted

Guru
Oh ya f that is spendy !
But for the time you'll save it is well worth it.
I did the Roubaix Disc year before last and it was an absolute pig, I also suspect the cables got twisted together in the frame because the changing was never quite right. I changed all the cables again last year using the IR1, I think it took about 1.5 hours and everything works slick as silk.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
watched a video over on bikeradar and showed using thin pipe that you feed through on the old cable which you then leave in place, this allowed you to feed the new cable through, seemed easy enough ? other than that I always thought that there was a channel left in place but would seem i`m wrong !

thin pipe can be found once you strip back the outer cable like you would some twin and earth.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
But for the time you'll save it is well worth it.
I did the Roubaix Disc year before last and it was an absolute pig, I also suspect the cables got twisted together in the frame because the changing was never quite right. I changed all the cables again last year using the IR1, I think it took about 1.5 hours and everything works slick as silk.
Watching the video on Park tools and it looks a doddle :tongue: might be a worthy investment !

lpretro1

[QUOTE 4086050, member: 45"]My Tricross frame has removable guides at each end. Take these out and the hole is bigger.[/QUOTE]
Yes but not all frames have this - on some there is no choice but to remove the bb no matter what fancy tool you might have - can assure you we see them all the time in our workshop!!

flatflr

Guru
If it's a carbon framed bike you can use a magnet (I used the speed sensor magnet) to feed the cable through, have done this twice worked a treat for me.

Top Bottom