Replacing 'internally routed' gear cable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Use the inner lining from an old length of cable outer. Strip away the outer plastic and reinforcing wires and you're left with a plastic sleeve. Cut the old inner while its still in place to give you a clean end and slide thesleeve over the cable up from the bottom of theframe, through the frame and tape it in place with an inch or two sticking out top and bottom. Remove the old inner. Measure and cut the new outer to size then feed the inner down through the frame via the sleeve you've taped in place. Once the inner is through the frame remove the sleeve and job's a carrot. Magnets bent wires and 45 quid tools my arse.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Use the inner lining from an old length of cable outer. Strip away the outer plastic and reinforcing wires and you're left with a plastic sleeve. Cut the old inner while its still in place to give you a clean end and slide thesleeve over the cable up from the bottom of theframe, through the frame and tape it in place with an inch or two sticking out top and bottom. Remove the old inner. Measure and cut the new outer to size then feed the inner down through the frame via the sleeve you've taped in place. Once the inner is through the frame remove the sleeve and job's a carrot. Magnets bent wires and 45 quid tools my arse.
That is what I saw on the video over at the other place, seemed to work.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
It's easy. Pull out the old inner - leaving the outer in place. Then thread the new inner into the old outer. Then pull the old casing out - leaving the new inner in the frame. Now thread the new outer using the new inner as a guide. Simple.

But if you do happen to accidentally pull it all out its not the end of the world to thread it through from scratch.
Very good advice, although last bit is a little optimistic, unless the OP has an eye of newt, the blood of a blind virgin, the sweat of an earnest man and a huge cauldron to bubble up some witchcraft in.

SpideRaY

I too need to replace my inner gear cable after swapping out my old Ultegra 6800 for the latest 8000 model as I have also swapped out my old 50t for a larger 52t my front mech now sits a fraction higher. I’m not happy about using the magnet method on my GTC carbon frame so I too will try the glued thread method as there is a very small hole just above my bottom bracket where the cable exits the frame.

Top Bottom