Reverse/parking sensors...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
I had some fitted to my old car - cost about £200 and that included painting them to match - they did look very well integrated into the bumper. When I changed cars they were on the "essential" list, as I have a tiny drive with a tap sticking out and have to reverse right back

Noodley

I'm just off to invent the 'ignition locator' for you helpless saps. :becool:

Noodley said:
I'm just off to invent the 'ignition locator' for you helpless saps. :becool:

Too late: Volvo have done it. You just need to carry the keys in your pocket and the damn thing unlocks as you approach. Press the button and you're off. Even people scared of the dark can drive it :rofl:;)

Noodley

Crackle said:
Too late: Volvo have done it....Even people scared of the dark can drive it :becool:;)

Bloody hell! :ohmy::blush:

What happens if the battery runs out? Do you just stand there shaking in fear, praying for the sun to rise? ;) If you last that long. :rofl:

Noodley said:
Bloody hell! ;):blush:

What happens if the battery runs out? Do you just stand there shaking in fear, praying for the sun to rise? :rofl: If you last that long. :becool:

I dunno. I only had it for two days and I don't go out after dusk ;)

bonj2

my dad's car's got them and they're way too sensitive, starts flat-lining when you're about 6 feet away.

bonj2

Crackle said:
Flat lining?

going from beep...............beep................beeep................beep.
to
beep..beep..beep..beep..
to just
beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepppppppp

User3143 said:
I had some fitted to me truck, very good.

What do they do when you're backing up to a loading dock, or anywhere else where you back up until you touch? Can you switch them off? I suspect they'd annoy the hell out of me.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My car has very poor rear visibility (Saloon - boot with a long rear end), so the camera is useful for backing up to walls, and getting out of tight spaces. It doesn't have parking sensors, even with a front that can't be seen.

Sensors aren't essential, and I think the sensors make folk get a little too close some times. If not fitted properly, they look damn ugly - even OEM fitted ones could be better done.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I vaguely know someone who got parking sensors for his citroen and retro fitted them, £20 but I've not heard of anyone retro fitting cameras? How much are they generally?

Trillian

only time i've backed into anything was in a car with them, was beeping like mad, couldn't see anything that was behind me and then they stopped beeping

low wall meet car.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I have never used them, relied on the ones in my head that also tell me where the rest of the car is and where the lines in parking bays have gone when out of sight.

I would fit a camera though but I am trying to figure out a cheap way of including the trailer into the system so I can get everything in one go and know it all works together.

Top Bottom