Ribble Cycles shop to close next week.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Just heard it at the shop in Preston. Clearly the cost of running a shop with staff is just too high for them compared to the web sales, which will continue with a small area at the warehouse for those who can find the place (near impossible) and want to try on kit.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That's a bit rubbish for you locals....

Crankarm

Guru
I wish them luck as they are going to need it. I emailed them twice tuesday and wednesday last week about stuff I wanted to purchase, but they didn't have the courtesy to reply. I emailed Parkers thursday morning and got a reply in 41 minutes and a further reply in 10 minutes. These people really want your business. Have purchased from them before and service has been excellent. As for Ribble they're hopeless, can't think why I contacted them instead of Parkers, oh well, the stuff is now on it's way from Parkers ;).

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I placed two orders with Ribble in the last couple of weeks and got deliveries within a matter of days - good service and the prices were as keen as it gets, anything but hopeless. Shame if they shut and it's your LBS.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It aint easy being a High Street retailer these days as I know to my cost although I've never dealt with Ribble. Lots of people use local shops as a place to see, feel and try the kit and then go on to the net to buy at the lowest price. I'm not blaming them but the demise of local shops may well be the result.
Rates and rents are still high and competing with a bloke who may not even touch the goods is getting harder.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I was looking at saddles in the shop and the packaging was tatty and filthy - they looked as if they had been hanging there for many many months unsold.

Anyway for us locals the reserve and collect service will continue, so if you can actually find the warehouse you can get some pretty keen prices, especially when they do their promotions.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I have used Ribble a few times in the past with no problems. I ordered a frame well over a week ago and the order status is still "in picking". Since there is no build required I would have expected this to be shipped by now. They are not replying to messages and don't answer their phones. Poor service IMHO - not sure how I am supposed to cancel the order either now if I wanted to (as they dont appear to be contactable).

Noodley

Ribble never reply to e-mails IME. They do sometimes pick up the phone, but usually monotone replies to questions, with not much help.

However, if stuff is in stock they are good with delivery and some of the prices are excellent.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Yeah I would agree Noodley. However, they have responded to my mails in the past within a day or 2 at the most and the value / choice has always been good for me. Just seems a bit "off" this time. We'll see... maybe I am just impatient :tongue:

I think that Ribble are going the way of all small High Street Shops with the business rates being raised and small business rate relief being cut.It's a no-brainer to concentrate on the internet.

bugslop

It has an address and even though i work 1/2 a mile away it's still a nightmare to find as quite reasonably they haven't put a whopping big sign outside, and been made to wait in a 'corridor' for your purchase is not very professional.

Top Bottom