Ribble Cycles shop to close next week.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you succeed in finding the warehouse, don't you get the goods post free as a reward? It's in an industrial estate next to a place where they cook the sauces for all the Indian takeaways so if you smell curry, just park and walk around a bit.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
accountantpete said:
I think that Ribble are going the way of all small High Street Shops with the business rates being raised and small business rate relief being cut.It's a no-brainer to concentrate on the internet.
And they're going to have to do exactly that....concentrate. The interbob is cut-throat and their game is nowhere up to the level of CRC, Wiggle, Parker et al.

Give an example - I emailed wiggle t'other week about a parcel I thought might have been mis-delivered (not wiggle's fault - couriers are always putting parcels for my company at the wrong address) and I received a human answer in little less than 5 minutes.

Based on my dealings with Ribble, I just can't see them achieving that level of professionalism.

I went in there for some Lusso stuff. They didn't have it but the warehouse did. Fine I says, I'll go and collect it from the warehouse.
Guy then wanders off to do something else (I was expecting hime to take by card for payment). Guy comes back as I'm still stood there.

Me: Can I pay for the jacket now then?
Ribble: Er no you have to order it online.
Me: (laughing) Can't you order it on your computer?
Ribble: No, I can give you a phone number.
Me: Er OK, can I use your phone?
Ribble: No, you have to phone yourself for web orders.
Me: Er right, thanks anyway.
Me: Goes home and orders from CRC

Alun

Guru
The Ribble warehouse is only a nightmare to find for the first time!

I hope they'll improve the customer facilities there if they close the other shop.

I wonder what they'll do about bike sizing etc. Wiggle deliver bikes quickly and allow returns for wrong size etc. Ribble bikes are built to order, I wouldn't want to wait weeks to get the wrong size.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Perhaps somebody should forward them a link to this thread. It might provoke a rethink if they realise they're irritating their core customers.

Their customer service used to be pretty good - I am talking at least 10 or so years ago. I've not used them since the start of the year and won't be using them again after the fiasco of waiting 4 weeks for a work stand in January.

I had ordered online with the intention of going to the warehouse the day after to pick up said item. Due to work commitments I had to go into the office on the day off I had booked.

They don't do weekend pick ups either so I phoned and phoned and phoned and emailed a number of times to try and get them to change the order from pick up to delivery. Could I get through could I f**k. Even went to the shop to see if they could help, I should have just talked to the wall. Finally got an emailed reply after 2 and a half weeks then had to wait a further week and a half for delivery.

mondobongo

Über Member
02GF74 said:
good, nothing would make me happier than see them close for good.

Thats nice of you and the people that lose their jobs as a result what about them?

gavintc

Guru
I use them a lot and have been happy with the service. Prices are keener than CRC or Wiggle. I presume the downsizing is a direct result of the recent recession. Unlike some, I want them to survive. Competition is important and I will be supporting them in their new structure.

I wonder if the problem that cheadle comments on, was down to a fairly disgruntled shop employee about lose their job.

Crankarm

Guru
gavintc said:
I use them a lot and have been happy with the service. Prices are keener than CRC or Wiggle. I presume the downsizing is a direct result of the recent recession. Unlike some, I want them to survive. Competition is important and I will be supporting them in their new structure.

I wonder if the problem that cheadle comments on, was down to a fairly disgruntled shop employee about lose their job.

There are a sufficient number of posters here each reporting difficulties they have had with customer service or lack of it at Ribble. As a previous poster rich p suggested Ribble themselves should take this on board to improve if they want their customers and potential customers to have a good experience shopping with them either on-line or in person. Afterall they want to have a successful business and a good reputation for customer service one would have thought??

nilling

Über Member
Really surprised the shop has stayed open this long. It's a very big shop, staffed by pimply faced yoofs and they don't service/repair bikes. I could use their collect service from their warehouse but it's only open during office hours and not open on a Saturday.

Still sad to see another shop close.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Being in a run-down area on the west side of Preston the shop is a pain to reach by road, is not in the town centre, has no parking, is a bit gloomy and depressing and some of the stock looks distinctly old. Oh, and it often stinks of frying from the chippy next door. The staff themselves are pleasant enough and I'm sorry if they lose their jobs.

However when you compare the paucity of the shop with the range of kit on the website and the fact that you can run a warehouse operation with a couple of blokes and a desktop, there's simply no contest is there?

Contrast that with a shop like Harry Hall's in Manchester: easy access by road or bike, loads of parking, cheap railway arch premises, great location near the universities and the wealthy underbelly of Cheshire... need I continue?

gavintc

Guru
Rigid Raider said:
Being in a run-down area on the west side of Preston the shop is a pain to reach by road, is not in the town centre, has no parking, is a bit gloomy and depressing and some of the stock looks distinctly old. Oh, and it often stinks of frying from the chippy next door. The staff themselves are pleasant enough and I'm sorry if they lose their jobs.

However when you compare the paucity of the shop with the range of kit on the website and the fact that you can run a warehouse operation with a couple of blokes and a desktop, there's simply no contest is there?

Contrast that with a shop like Harry Hall's in Manchester: easy access by road or bike, loads of parking, cheap railway arch premises, great location near the universities and the wealthy underbelly of Cheshire... need I continue?

It is probably why they have decided to become an online only business. They will have looked at their stengths and weaknesses and calculated that the online shop would be taking more in revenue than the shop for a lower overhead. The drop in standards hopefully will improve when they focus on the 'main effort' and lose their shop. Personally, I have not had a problem and have ordered reasonably frequently over the last 3-4 yrs.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I ordered £68 worth of parts on Thursday 7th May. Everything was supposed to be in stock. Here we are on 11th May and nothing has happened yet, the order is still "In Picking".

I wanted to rebuild my bike by Wednesday morning when I'll be going away for a week but it doesn't look that will be possible now. Super. :biggrin:

Bugger! :tongue: I've just been back to check the stock levels. I ordered a 40-tooth chainring because the 39s were out of stock. Now the 39s are in stock and the 40s aren't - hopefully, I got the last one!

I'll give Ribble a call and try and confirm that or change the order to a 39...

First attempt - no answer after ringing for 3 minutes. (14:05)
Second attempt - engaged/off-hook. (15:40)
Third attempt - engaged/off-hook. (16:05)
Fourth attempt - engaged/off-hook. (16:55)
(They are supposed to close at 17:15 so what chance of catching them now?)

Top Bottom