RIP Gino Mader at the Tour de Suisse 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
RIP Gino.

There is something in that, but when the descent ends barely a km from the finish line there is huge incentive to race that section.
It's perhaps poor of the riders to criticize in hindsight - they will all have studied the last 10km in advance, and SOMEONE will know the area, so not speaking to the riders union rep chappie is arguably negligent in itself. A shared blame and responsibility, it would seem?
I may have missed it, but how do we know someone didn't speak to the union rep?

I can't see how they could put the race down a descent like that and anyone expect racers not to race it. Even some of the old "patrons" of the peloton would have struggled to keep the racers in check. Maybe Hinault could. Anyone since would have struggled.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
A reminder that racing in the mountains has dangers, with no netting like they do in downhill skiing. RIP Gino

Alex321

Veteran
RIP Gino.

I may have missed it, but how do we know someone didn't speak to the union rep?

I can't see how they could put the race down a descent like that and anyone expect racers not to race it. Even some of the old "patrons" of the peloton would have struggled to keep the racers in check. Maybe Hinault could. Anyone since would have struggled.

Agreed. Unless they actually officially neutralise it, racers are going to race it, particularly when they arrive at the start of the descent all spread out as they were yesterday.

It is a bit of a shame for Ayuso too. His first ever world tour win, and it will be completely overshadowed for him by this.

Top Bottom