RIP Phil Hughes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
This is uncanny.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/11/29/cricket-israel-death-idUKL3N0TJ0BB20141129

He said the players attempted to revive Oscar after he fell to the ground and the ambulance crew that arrived soon afterwards had worked for an hour at the scene before he was taken to hospital and was subsequently declared dead.

Oscar's wife, Jenny, told YNet that the incident had occurred moments after a minute's silence for Australia batsman Phillip Hughes, who died in hospital on Thursday after being struck by a ball during a domestic first-class match in Sydney.

jhawk

Veteran
What a tragedy. So very, very sad. Puts it all into perspective a bit, doesn't it?

:sad:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I'm no cricket fan and know very little about the game, but perhaps someone who does can explain why balls with no other purpose than to intimidate the batsman are allowed? Perhaps a penalty every time someone bowls a bouncer or a line on the wicket before which a ball must not ground to prevent short pitch bowling?

There may well be a good reason why balls like this are allowed, but with my lack of cricket knowledge I can't figure it.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'm no cricket fan and know very little about the game, but perhaps someone who does can explain why balls with no other purpose than to intimidate the batsman are allowed? Perhaps a penalty every time someone bowls a bouncer or a line on the wicket before which a ball must not ground to prevent short pitch bowling?

There may well be a good reason why balls like this are allowed, but with my lack of cricket knowledge I can't figure it.
It's to intimidate the batsman. That's the long and the short of it.
The theory is that it stops the batsman from knowing that he can take a pace down the wicket with impunity, and clobber the bowling. As such it's an integral part of the fast bowler's repertoire and is/was generally regarded as a legitimate balancing of power between the two.
Its use has been limited in recent years.

This is uncanny.

"Oscar, standing at the bowler's end, was hit when the ball ricocheted off the stumps and hit him in the neck from a shot that came straight back down the pitch...Police said there was no suspicion of foul play."

Did they really have to? :wacko:

RIP Phil Hughes and Hillel Oscar.

Bat was out for Phil at yesterday's Melrose v Stiring match, placed by our Aussie hooker Todd Pearce

B3o3kItIQAI48eo.jpg

Last edited:
U

User169

Not sure I wholly agree that short stuff is just to intimidate. Nowadays, short pitched deliveries are thought of as wicket taking just as much as intimidatory. In the past, you didn't expect to take many wickets with the short-stuff because bastman simply got out of the way. Modern batsman though are much more inclined to take it on, even lower order batsman, so you see lots more wickets down to mis-timed pulls and hooks than you used to.

England at Lords earlier in the year springs to mind!

Beebo

Firm and Fruity

Bowlers are limited to one per over.
Back in the 70's they could bowl 6 an over.

Top Bottom