Roads were not built for cars!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Has anyone heard about this free e-book? http://www.roadswerenotbuiltforcars.com/

'Roads Were Not Built for Cars' is a history book, focussing on a time when cyclists had political clout, in Britain and especially in America. The book researches the Road Improvements Association - a lobbying group created by the Cyclists' Touring Club in the 1880s - and the Good Roads movement organised by the League of American Wheelmen in the same period.

The blog is quite interesting too!

The cove who wrote it looks like he has something to say:

RomanCenturionHighWheelBicycle.jpg

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Lol the cove who wrote it. You mean Carlton Reid who talks a lot of sense. Been following it for a while.

davefb

Guru
[QUOTE 2358868, member: 259"]He may have got his historical contexts a bit mixed up, though :whistle:[/quote]
its the missing 59th legion, well known for making it to the states and building them roads, that's why they're all so straight.

It is an interesting take on things, but one might equally say that barbed wire was not designed for warfare.

It (and its later derivatives) have not let that prevent them from becomoing a most fearsome obstacle on the battlefield for decades.

Similarly, telephones were not invented to be used as cameras.

Even if roads were not designed with cars in mind, in much of the world they are used primarily by motor vehicles.

Carry on...

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I think that might be Noodley.
I'd put my money on Vikeonabike.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
It is an interesting take on things, but one might equally say that barbed wire was not designed for warfare.

It (and its later derivatives) have not let that prevent them from becomoing a most fearsome obstacle on the battlefield for decades.

Similarly, telephones were not invented to be used as cameras.

Even if roads were not designed with cars in mind, in much of the world they are used primarily by motor vehicles.

Carry on...
I get your point but it is a useful thing to know when people have a go at cyclists and say that they shouldn't be on the roads and such. Not that they'd believe you, or care. But they might biff you one for being a smart arse. Oh I don't know, I'm all confused now.

Top Bottom