Ronde van Vlaanderen *Spoiler*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
That was a very impressive win by Devolder... and Boonen nowhere to be seen at the end. He can't get near Cav in the sprints right now neither can he seen to generate the power to get away from a field in races like this... is he destined to be overtaken by a new generation of younger riders already, or is this just a temporary blip in form?

Skip Madness

That Devolder guy is not a bad rider.

Heinrich Haussler must be pretty miffed that he has been strong enough to get second at Milano-Sanremo and today and yet not quite had it there to win either. It is another super result for him, though.

I am surprised Teutenberg was still there to take the sprint - I know she is much more than just a sprinter but one would expect that the terrain gave the opportunity for more traditional classics riders to kill her off before the finish. It is the biggest win of her career.

I am not sure where Greg van Avermaet finished, but Emma Johansson was third, so my predictions were not too bad.

DanRVV2006

Flying_Monkey said:
That was a very impressive win by Devolder... and Boonen nowhere to be seen at the end. He can't get near Cav in the sprints right now neither can he seen to generate the power to get away from a field in races like this... is he destined to be overtaken by a new generation of younger riders already, or is this just a temporary blip in form?

lol boonen was the man in best form today, even pippo agreed that boonen was the strongest. what was he menat to do with team mates up the road? chase them down? hes not riding for rabobank! and he is the most marked man in the whole race so it is hard to get away! i just cant believe they let devolder go again for the second year running, was a very good victory tho and quickstep are untouchable at the moment! Also boonen will win next sunday trust me :ohmy:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
DanRVV2006 said:
Also boonen will win next sunday trust me :wacko:

Ya reckon? I am not so sure. I am also not so sure that Boonen is 'the man in form'. The men in form have been Haussler and Cavendish, surely? By his (very high) standards, Tom has not had the season he would have hope for so far...

I think my problem with Boonen is that he appears to underrate a lot of other riders... he has shown a rather arrogant side recently and has had to eat plenty of humble pie - firstly by claiming that Cav couldn't win MSR and then we watched Cav cope with the hills and the surprise attack whilst Boonen went backwards... and then today, Boonen appeared to be thinking that it was only going to be him or Pozzato, and he totally missed the move by Devolder when it came - and it wasn't an unpredicatable move, being an almost carbon copy of last year.

DanRVV2006

well i see what ya mean but lets look at the whole race not the last 20 km, everytime boonen or pippo attacked noone and yes thats noone managed to go with them except maybe the exception of devolder altho he was hanging on! and as for missing devolders move, i didnt realise teams attacked in pairs these days :evil: at least boonen is a team player and doesnt get sulky when his teammatess win rather than him which is a good thing, as many of the top riders mainly from lotto and rabobank do get sulky! and Cav is the most arrogant f**ker around, alredy thinking he has won wednesday at gent wevelgem, my money is on pippo or haussler!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
DanRVV2006 said:
and Cav is the most arrogant f**ker around, alredy thinking he has won wednesday at gent wevelgem, my money is on pippo or haussler!

Cav almost gives more credit to his teammates than he does to to himself these days. Not the behaviour of an arrogant man IMO. Saying that he was the fastest man in the peloton in a bunch sprint would only be arrogant if he didn't go out and keep proving it was true!
He won't win every race but he's winning more than a few these days. I've nothing against Boonen and you have to have an attitude to be a top sprinter or sportsman in general but him saying Cav won't be able to win the SR because he won't get over the Poggia smacks of something don't you think!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Cav isn't arrogant, he's confident. He doesn't belittle others and, as others have pointed out, he is the perfect team-player always thanking his team for doing the work. It seems like some people just have trouble with a winner...

And he hasn't built himself into the favourite for Wevelgem by what he has said but by what he has done... all he's always indicated is that it is one of his targets for the early season, as it obviously should be.

mondobongo

Über Member
Dare not pop in here yesterday as my daughter had recorded the entire race for me and did not want to know the result, just finished watching it.. Great result for Devolder thought he had gone too early at one point but showed his power in staying away.

Hincapie will win Roubaix next Sunday as long as there are no mechanicals.

Cav spent a lot of money on very nice Tag Heuer watches as thank you presents for his teammates in the Giro and the Tour hardly an arrogant man. Good interview although short with him in the current Cycling Weekly.

yenrod

Ronde van Vlaanderen - was very boring...other than it being cycling.

The crash at the end was the highpoint for me ! AND hearing Duffield on the Crit.International...afterwards.

Top Bottom