Rosedale Chimney

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris James

Über Member
Abitrary said:
How do they measure hill ratios, though? It it's constantly 1:3, than that wouldn't pose a problem to most cyclists of any ability, as you would just steam straight up it.

Steam straight up a 1 in 3? I'd like to see most people try!

UK gradients are given as the maximum gradient on the road (unlike alpine ones which I believe are averages over the road's full length).

This would appear to be the case for Rosedale Chimney which, looking at the get a map site, appears to climb to 300 m from about 150m (the Abbey is at about 130m) in the space of about a kilometre.

The steepest section looks to be in the middle of the hillside when the road kicks up from a elevation of 200m to 300m in a 500m stretch of road.

I make that 100/500 = 20% or 1 in 4.

The road is shown as having several distinct steep sections with only one short bit showing as a double chevron (i.e. 1 in 4 or greater).

The road certainly doesn’t average 1 in 3 over its full length. I very much doubt that any road (unless incredibly short) would do that.

So Rosedale Chimney peaks at 1 in 3, which is very steep indeed.

For comparison purpose, the (infamous) Hardnott Pass roses from 100m ASL to 393m ASL in a distance of about 2km but is also rated as 1 in 3.

dodgy

If you go to Google maps and click on 'my maps' you can use a path profiler tool. When I used that it indicated that the Chimney was a max of about 17%, so there's probably a short bit of 33% to qualify for the signpost. Wrynose also has a 33% warning at the start, and I would say good portions of that climbe really are 1 in 3, but definitely not averaged along the entire climb. Again, Google shows it at about 22%. Hardknott is steeper still!

Dave.

OP
OP
Hugo15

Hugo15

Über Member
The first bit of the climb up to the first hairpin was OK. I managed to sit down on this part and save my legs a little. Once you get round the first haipin you are hit by what looks more like a wall! You are then out of the saddle from here up to the second hairpin. After this it kicks up straight, probably 1 in 4 or 1 in 5. I tried to sit down, but as I did the front wheel quickly rose off the road and I rapidly got back out of the saddle just to stay on the bike. After a couple of hundred yards (well that's what it felt like) the gradient eases and I could get back in the saddle. At this point it started to pour with rain but there was no way I was going to stop now. A slow grind to the top completed the climb.

One thing I did notice was how much my arms ached. Suspect I was pulling rather hard on the bars just to keep going.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I enjoyed the photo and post. I've heard of this place near Rosedale (I went to the area a couple of years ago) but I didn't know it had a name.

Globalti

Legendary Member
"I make that 100/500 = 20% or 1 in 4."

*pedant mode on*
Errrr.... that looks like 1 in 5 to me.....

Chris James

Über Member
Rigid Raider said:
"I make that 100/500 = 20% or 1 in 4."

*pedant mode on*
Errrr.... that looks like 1 in 5 to me.....

Being extremely pedantic...

Actually it is neither as the '1 in' measurement is based on the length of the road, not the horizontal distance on the map. So it is 1 in 5 and a bit!

Pedant mode off - yes, I was wrong on my post.

asterix

Comrade Member
Is it not time that someone put their oar in, saying how much steeper the hills are in Wales?

I'd do it myself, but I have almost never been there except by accident.

Chris James

Über Member
From my experience of growing up in Chester and speniding a lot of time in North Wales (including bike trips across Wales) I reckon that the hills in the Pennines are steeper but shorter than the Welsh ones. However, there are lots more hills around here and they are pretty much unavoidable.

I haven't cycled in the North York Moors but have driven up Sutton Bank for example and it is very steep.

cycling fisherman

Hugo 15 I Salute You

For those who have seen or witnessed rosedale chimney OH BOY !!!

I was working for calor gas at the time and i took a wrong turn at the moor top and ended up coming down the chimney in a 18 ton gas wagon full of cylinders...

Then...

I read a few months ago with great interest that riders actually attempt this bad boy and i just could not believe it, I mean this is one seriously steep hill...

who has tried it ?
did you have to stop ?
did you beat the rosedale chimney ?

HUGO 15 I SALUTE YOU OR ANY OTHER HUMAN WHO CAN CONQUER THE CHIMNEY !!

WELL DONE !!

papercorn2000

simoncc said:
I've done this climb a few times, the last time on 28x28, the bottom gear on my light tourer.

I'm assuming a 700c wheel - that's a, what, 27" or so gear!
I don't think I could actually stay upright, it would be like doing a track stand!

papercorn2000

asterix said:
Is it not time that someone put their oar in, saying how much steeper the hills are in Wales?

I'd do it myself, but I have almost never been there except by accident.

There's a 25% climb in Llangoed in Anglesey near to where my grandparents lived.

kennybaby

Has anyone been up wearing a garmin GPS watch, that shows gradient, speed, distance, heart rate, etc. The result would be interesting. Just looking up the climb as the book I was reading said this chimney bank was a difficult one. Most climbed recently got up to 22% according to my mates Mr Garmin watch.

yenrod

dodgy said:
If you go to Google maps and click on 'my maps' you can use a path profiler tool. When I used that it indicated that the Chimney was a max of about 17%, so there's probably a short bit of 33% to qualify for the signpost. Wrynose also has a 33% warning at the start, and I would say good portions of that climbe really are 1 in 3, but definitely not averaged along the entire climb. Again, Google shows it at about 22%. Hardknott is steeper still!

Dave.

I'll show you a climb one day - whereby you'll wish you'd rather have done 65ml !!! - its a real out of the way brute !

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...68733,-2.739973&spn=0.01338,0.043774&t=p&z=15

Top Bottom