Rounded on by pedestrians!!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
papercorn2000 said:
How do you sleep at night?

Horlics ? xx(

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
mr_hippo said:
A two-wheeled numpty going too fast for the road conditions and blames others.

mr hippo: without smileys it's difficult to discern the tone in which your comment was made. Were you being ironic or genuinely critical of me?
If the latter, I can only repeat what I've said earlier: I had the brake covered and was able to stop in time, even though this driver pulled out straight in front of me.
Too fast for road conditions: certainly not.
Blames others: yes, absolutely it was their fault entirely.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
betty swollocks said:
Too fast for road conditions: certainly not.
Blames others: yes, absolutely it was their fault entirely.
FWIW, I find roundabouts are best taken at a fair speed, as much in the flow of traffic as you can be. Anything else risks dangerous overtaking and left hooks (imo).

If you're on the roundabout and someone pulls out ahead, close enough that you need to slow or stop they're in the wrong as far as I'm aware, and would be if you were on a bike, in a car, or driving a lorry. I'm surprised the instructor didn't operate the dual controls to stop the manouevre tbh.

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
John the Monkey said:
FWIW, . I'm surprised the instructor didn't operate the dual controls to stop the manouevre tbh.

As I said in my initial post, maybe the driver was on her test, where I surmise you are given a little leeway to fail and where an instructor would have intervened.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
betty swollocks said:
As I said in my initial post, maybe the driver was on her test, where I surmise you are given a little leeway to fail and where an instructor would have intervened.
I'd say putting your vehicle in someone else's path is a bit *too* much leeway, personally :sad:

col

Legendary Member
betty swollocks said:

Dont worry, she wont have failed because of you, the instructor would have said to her "its ok you get the odd cyclist like that" :sad:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
col said:
Dont worry, she wont have failed because of you, the instructor would have said to her "its ok you get the odd cyclist like that" :sad:
In all seriousness Col, where do you ride? Do you have to go across roundabouts? How do you tackle them, and do you not feel a bit aggrieved if someone takes your right of way on them?

col

Legendary Member
John the Monkey said:
In all seriousness Col, where do you ride? Do you have to go across roundabouts? How do you tackle them, and do you not feel a bit aggrieved if someone takes your right of way on them?

Joking aside then, the only thing I found terrible here was the fact that it was a learner that made a mistake and got verbal while possibly on a test, if there was a serious mistake made the instuctor would have pointed this out.
As for approaching roundabouts at speed, I only do this if i can see there are none or not enough cars to make it a bit dodgy not braking before entering the roundabout, if I have any doubt of the timing of this I will slow.

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
col said:
Joking aside then, the only thing I found terrible here was the fact that it was a learner that made a mistake and got verbal while possibly on a test, if there was a serious mistake made the instuctor would have pointed this out.
As for approaching roundabouts at speed, I only do this if i can see there are none or not enough cars to make it a bit dodgy not braking before entering the roundabout, if I have any doubt of the timing of this I will slow.

Got verbal? I was not abusive. My comment was a simple observation.
Perhaps I should have blown the driver kisses for nearly taking me out and invited them to do the same to another cyclist on the next rab?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
col said:
...the only thing I found terrible here was the fact that it was a learner that made a mistake and got verbal while possibly on a test, if there was a serious mistake made the instuctor would have pointed this out.
I tend to not bandy words with motorists in general, but it can be difficult to keep calm when someone pulls out ahead of you, wouldn't you agree?
Agreed - I do a few roundabouts at the start of my commute, generally with the flow of the bulk of the traffic (i.e. it and I tend to be entering and leaving from the same places). Obviously I do give way to traffic already on/entering from my right, but in general slowing too much will have traffic trying to cut around me and beat me to the exit (usually the same one I'm taking). It makes sense to maintain a fair speed on the way through so that "need" to pass doesn't appear for the drivers.

I tend to take Waterloo rounderbout in my own time at a leisurely pace probably because I couldn't get fast enough but if im coming from Central London down to the same rounderbout and I see a vehicle then I will slow and won't take it at speed as there are enough comedians about.I think the only incident I had recently was when the cab driver zipped in front of me to be stopped at the lights but I had it covered.Not worth hitting it at speed just for the point of saving a few seconds anfd then getting heated up because I have had trouble stopping and a near miss.IMHO.

The cab driver incident did annoy me but I guess that is normal for many motons in london.

Top Bottom