SAB - Planet-X Budget Build underway.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Planet-X here in Rotherham recently bought SAB bikes of San Marino. They had some cheap ally frames in so I decided to plan a build around one of their Domagnano models.

Spec will be:

SAB Domagnano 58cm frame, Ness full carbon 3k fork. £70 frame £50 forks.

Shimano 2300 Triple groupset, Tektro R520 brakes, CFX Mach 1 rims, SCOR OS bars, FSA OS stem, FSA Orbit headset, Deda RS01 seatpost, Selle Italia Q-Bik saddle.

Most parts sourced from CRC/Planet-X

2300 groupset and brakes were purchased used with 100 miles on the clock for £100 so is pretty much new.

It's come in above a Triban 3, which was my baseline but much lower than a mainstream brand such as Trek, Giant Specialized etc...

Spent @£440 in total

734251_10151466802036177_202620175_n.jpg

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
£70 frame £50 forks.

:wacko:

Bet it wasnt made in San Marino.

Nice though.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
must admit i looked at picking a frameset up at the price they were going for absolute bargain

OP
OP
Alembicbassman

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
They had the full carbon rear triangle and carbon seat stay models at £99.99 but they've gone up to £149.99 now. Only seemed to have the smaller frame sizes too. The extra carbon didn't appear to give any weight saving as they quoted 1.4kg for all SAB alloy frames.

Oily bits fitted.

582574_10151469013626177_15862163_n.jpg

OP
OP
Alembicbassman

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
All finished with the addition of BBB Ovalintegrate pump, SPD M520 Pedals, Cateye Velo 5 computer, Velo chainstay protector, Velox carbon effect silver bar tape.

Build quality of the fork looks good, it's supposed to have a 50mm rake so I'll expect relaxed handling. The bike is set-up for longer/hilly rides anyway so not expecting it to break any records. Need to wait until the weather improves before riding it.

Had to buy a few additional bits because frame patches don't stick to the matt finish so had to use those rubber cable things from Decathlon and a neoprene chainstay guard. Pedals were £15 extra too.

8413486901_e85d69a208_c.jpg

SS Retro

Just been having a look at the SAB frames at planet X they do look a steal, that looks really well for a 'budget' build, like it!

ben123

Hi there alembicbassman,

I just signed up to the forum to ask you a few things about this setup, if you wouldn't mind, as I'm thinking of getting the same! Looks a really good budget build.

What headset are you using? Is it the fsa orbit ce from planet x (the integrated one?)

How much clearance is there for tyres on the frame? could you fit, say, 28s?

Also, I'd love to know if you are pleased with it/how it rides etc.

Cheers!

Ben