Sad story through component failure Kinesis Racelight TK2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
"The public are being warned there are still almost 2,000 faulty bikes on the streets. Jonathan Weatherley, 43, of Church Street in Sible Hedingham, died when he came off his bicycle after braking suddenly in Lorkin's Lane, in Twinstead, on August 23 last year. It is thought he could have been avoiding debris or animals in the road and he was left there for 90 minutes until a passer-by spotted him and phoned paramedics at 3.40pm. His bicycle, Kinesis Racelight TK2, had a bonding failure between two parts - the fork crown and the steerer tube."

A recall has been issued. If you have that bike, go find it.

More detail from Leigh Day's site at https://www.leighday.co.uk/News/News-2016/June-2016/Coroner-finds-cyclist-died-after-forks-separated which repeats the quote from Senior Coroner Caroline Beasley-Murray: “Jonathan Weatherley probably applied braking through his front brakes for some unknown reason, causing the bonding between the carbon fiber blades and aluminum crown to fail as a result of the fact that the bonding material had not adequately bonded these two components together. Jonathan died as a result of his injuries sustained in this accident.”

I wonder if any problem would have been visible before it failed?

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
"The public are being warned there are still almost 2,000 faulty bikes on the streets. Jonathan Weatherley, 43, of Church Street in Sible Hedingham, died when he came off his bicycle after braking suddenly in Lorkin's Lane, in Twinstead, on August 23 last year. It is thought he could have been avoiding debris or animals in the road and he was left there for 90 minutes until a passer-by spotted him and phoned paramedics at 3.40pm. His bicycle, Kinesis Racelight TK2, had a bonding failure between two parts - the fork crown and the steerer tube."

A recall has been issued. If you have that bike, go find it.

More detail from Leigh Day's site at https://www.leighday.co.uk/News/News-2016/June-2016/Coroner-finds-cyclist-died-after-forks-separated which repeats the quote from Senior Coroner Caroline Beasley-Murray: “Jonathan Weatherley probably applied braking through his front brakes for some unknown reason, causing the bonding between the carbon fiber blades and aluminum crown to fail as a result of the fact that the bonding material had not adequately bonded these two components together. Jonathan died as a result of his injuries sustained in this accident.”

I wonder if any problem would have been visible before it failed?
I guess we'll never know, but it could have been and it equally could not have been visible? I'm not sure if it means the issue was within the head tube or just below?
A very sad story.

Stevec047

Über Member
Crikey and just around the corner from me.

Product recalls are all good but if they are not followed up with owners or the owner never registered the product be it a bike or not 99% of the population would never know.

You only hear about major companies like Toyota etc as they are massive world wide names.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I guess we'll never know, but it could have been and it equally could not have been visible? I'm not sure if it means the issue was within the head tube or just below?
A very sad story.
We will probably never know and I suspect it might not have been visible.

As I understand it (but my experience is mainly steel), the crown is below the head tube and the blades are the bits either side of the wheel so the bonding failure was outside the bottom of the head tube.

rjb on http://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=100789 wrote "If I recall, the CTC advice was to check your carbon forks prior to every ride. The advice was to stand in front of your bike with the front wheel held between your legs then try to twist the bars to check there was no movement."

winjim

Smash the cistern
Yikes. I think I've got one of those forks. Good job it's not being ridden. Best check it and see what Kinesis have to say. Utter fail on the product recall as this is the first I've heard of it, so thanks for bringing it to our attention.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Info from Kinesis here:

http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/Addit...CELIGHT-T-CARBON-FORK-2003-2009-RECALL-NOTICE

Mine's got a full alloy steerer so doesn't look like it's affected after all.

e-rider

crappy member
I heard about this recall a while ago, but my Kinesis forks are slightly newer so not affected. However, this incident happened before the recall so it wouldn't help the poor guy. From what I can see, this was the only report of the problem. I wonder if the problem has been identified in other similar used forks too or was it just the one pair of forks that failed? If the latter, they could have had an impact before failing? I guess that as it's a total recall other forks must show signs of potentially failing in the same way

winjim

Smash the cistern
The fork blades bond with the alloy crown failed which caused the fatal accident which precipitated this recall. So you may wish to think again.
The recall applies to forks with an alloy crown and carbon steerer. Forks with a full alloy steerer are specifically mentioned in the recall notice as being unaffected.

Top Bottom