This makes for sobrering reading "Attention failure"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
New insight?
pretty sure other studies have been done that said the same thing

winjim

Smash the cistern
I hate crossing at junctions. I'm looking in three directions at once, often with two small children to keep an eye on, drivers are looking in three directions at once... it's no surprise they might not look for or notice pedestrians and cyclists.

I've also noticed when driving, and I think this is a natural reaction, that I will tend to look for what is the greatest perceived threat to me. So for example when turning left, after I have checked all around, as I turn I will be looking right. So I'm not looking where the car is going, and to where I might be the threat, but looking for traffic approaching the space I'm turning into.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Pedestrians and cyclists note "The takeaway for pedestrians and cyclists: drivers aren't seeing you. Not necessarily because they're bad drivers, but that their attention is too divided," added Donmez. "When crossing a street, your assumption should be that the car doesn't see you."
Anticipate you may be left hooked. Eyeballing the driver on approach just 'may' help (and you'll see if they're indicating, just maybe). If there's a cycle lane (going straight on) that is not a force field against the left hooker. Assume nothing.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
One of the reasons I don't like roundabouts. Essentially I'm trusting drivers joining not to plough into me. I try see whether they are braking, where they are looking, and generally try not to be in the firing line in the event they have not noticed me, and to have a vehicle as a "chaperone".

Quite often if I don't like the look of things I just get off and negotiate it as a pedestrian.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Had an interesting one at the weekend. I was pootling along a B road through a village. Minor road joins on my left ahead of me. Good all round visibility. Car emerging from the side road planning to turn right. I just knew he wasn't looking. I slowed down to see when he'd wake up and made sure I could stop if he didn't. I even had time to think about the fact that I could just turn left into the side road to avoid him if necessary. He was about a metre or so into the road before he suddenly came to his senses, saw me, and jammed the anchors on. It was all pretty slow. Ended up with me slap in front of him blocking his progress. I said a few naughty words and carried on my way. He was just in a complete dream.

Last edited:

keithmac

Guru
One of the reasons I don't like roundabouts. Essentially I'm trusting drivers joining not to plough into me. I try see whether they are braking, where they are looking, and generally try not to be in the firing line in the event they have not noticed me, and to have a vehicle as a "chaperone".

Quite often if I don't like the look of things I just get off and negotiate it as a pedestrian.

There's two problem roundabouts on my commute where quite often if I haven't stopped (my right of way) I'd be under a car..

Mostly people paying no attention at all, some genuinely don't even know they've done anything wrong, completely oblivious.

I've been teaching my son to look out and be extra careful as I'm sure a less seasoned bike rider could come off a lot worse than me.

These are only 30mph roads as well.

I saw something similar today. Two cars turning right at a t junction. First car makes the turn fine.
Second car almost presumes the road is clear as the first car made the turn ok. So she almost missed seeing the car from the left and had to brake half way out. Very poor driving.

presta

Guru
This is from 2018.

I've also noticed when driving, and I think this is a natural reaction, that I will tend to look for what is the greatest perceived threat to me.
This is Franklin's argument in Cyclecraft; put yourself in Primary Position, and you're exactly where hazards to the drivers arise, so you get seen. On the other hand, if you put yourself on a cycle path you're more likely to go unnoticed because threats to drivers don't come from over there.

I don't like roundabouts. Essentially I'm trusting drivers joining not to plough into me.
I was about where the camera is here. On the left, the nearside lane was full of queueing cars, with the front one waiting for me, and in the offside lane there was a white van overtaking the queue at some rate of knots. The driver was looking to his right and saw that the roundabout behind me was empty, so he saw no reason to slow down until he turned his head and saw me right in front of him just as he was about to cross the line, at which point he swerved violently to the right, and then left round the back of my bike. I reckon you could have trapped a Rizla between the van and my back wheel.

I used to cross the bypass at that roundabout once or twice on nearly every ride, I reckon I've had more near misses there than everywhere else put together.

For decades I used roundabouts much as with a car (albeit sometimes slower - not always!). Following my left-side SMIDSY (from a side-turning) I have taken the uber-paranoid approach, much as you describe. If I'm not nearly 100% certain a driver has slowed enough to give me a clear space-time window to get past him/her, I hit the anchors (or do something else) to buy some space/time.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The space-time continuum and Matt's theories of relativity are advanced scientific ideas which even scientists sometimes have trouble grasping the meaning and significance of. Ref roundabout approach and use (J30 on (below) the M5 is a particular favourite) I go for it like Matt when he was younger and less sage, but at speed with a bit of lane occupancy wobbling and bilateral shoulder checking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom