Scooters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Personally, I would advise a Honda 125 or Burgman 125. They are great scooters, well built, reliable and comfortable. Check for second hand prices but buy from a reputable dealer if you can , for peace of mind. Also, they are automatics so easy to ride.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Id go for a 125 with bigger wheels and a tank you can squeeze with your knees..
scoots are ok but a bike will feel safer..as a noob..
try and get a jap 125 second had or a lexi 125 copy..a good bike for a grand is a tall order..

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
In the future i have considered a moped for going to work on when and if i find commuting and work to much as my workplace policy is pretty much if you cant do the job you will eventually get a sweetener to leave but it wouldn't be enough to see me through to retirement so i might have to ditch the ride to work.
I only have a car license and i used to ride 50 cc "chicken chasers " in my youth , those days they were pretty cack tbh and would seize up eventually , my ride on the shortest route is 8,5 miles so would a modern 50 cc handle this or would i really need to look at something a bit bigger and get my cbt etc ?
I dont really want to go down the route of 2 cars from a monetary pint of view and i want to keep riding my bikes as long as possible but i am thinking long term .
If it's all 30 mph limit roads, a 50 will be fine, but a 125 will give you more options and be much better for longer distances.

StuAff

[QUOTE 4065510, member: 45"]I was in your position 18 months ago. Was looking at the cheaper Chinese scooters (a mate has had a Sym for years and it hasn't let him down once), but took the more reassuring route and bought a Honda Vision 110. You can get a decent 1 year old one for about £1200 but they were doing O% when I bought so I got a new one I think for £1900. It was fantastic. 130mpg (£6/week in fuel), really cheap insurance and reliable. Service intervals were about 2500 miles I think, which wasn't great for me doing 6k miles in a year, but if you've got a friendly local mechanic it's really cheap -there's hardly anything to do with the servicing. A lot of scooterers do their own.

I rode it through the seasons and I think there was only one morning when it was too icy to ride. I did my direct access test after 12 months as a short stretch of motorway shortened my commute massively, and I hated having L plates. Then work moved me to a 15 mile motorway commute, so I bought a 650 Kawasaki motorbike. It was fantastic fun, but much more than I needed, so I've gone the sensible route and now have a 300cc Honda Forza. Cruises at 75mph, 70-80mpg and great weather protection, 8000 mile service intervals. I'm considering riding over to Europe on it next week.

Kit doesn't cost much. A decent helmet for about £130 (if you buy new they'll give you a discount on gear). Waterproof, armoured clothing cheap on ebay.

A tip on insurance -tell them you're not using any security. It hardly affects your premium. You don't have to lug a huge chain around, and if your bike does get nicked and you happened not to secure it you won't get any problems.

UK scooter forums aren't great. Twistandgo is dead. As has been said Maximuppets is ok, but it's more about bigger scooters. There's a Honda PCX forum that's ok. You might find an international forum that's busier.

Scooters are fantastic for commutes too big to cycle, and there's absolutely no quicker way to get around cities. I really don't understand why they're not more popular over here. Mainland Europe knows how useful they are, but the UK doesn't seem to have cottoned on.

Now is a good time to buy, new or second-hand. I'd go Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha.[/QUOTE]
Have an account on hondapcx.org, picked up some useful info on there.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
If it's all 30 mph limit roads, a 50 will be fine, but a 125 will give you more options and be much better for longer distances.
For longer distances i have access to the family car as a named driver on the wifes insurance , the moped would only be for the commute .Its along country lanes i currently ride on my bike and through a couple of villages .

StuAff

[QUOTE 4065524, member: 45"]Same username?[/QUOTE]
Yep. Only a few posts, haven't posted for ages, but still check in from time to time.

MarkF

Guru
An opportunity to post a (another) pic of my Vespa. :wub:
or1.jpg

Chris, I have the vintage Vespa and an LML 4 stroke, I've also had a few plastic Japanese scooters too, Burgman, Majesty etc I have no love for plastic scooters and used them solely for commuting and for this they are superb machines.

Don't buy Chinese, reliability and build quality are everything for a commuting machine.
Don't buy Chinese, you'll be lucky to be offered 2 Smartie tops when you want to sell it, which you will.
Stretch to £1400 and you'll get mint Honda PCX125, all you'll ever need for a 15 mile commute.

Left field choices are LML's, you'd probably need £2k for a very good Vespa PX but only £1000-1200 for a similar LML. I love the looks but don't want to use my vintage bike on a commute, that's why I bought the LML, I have had 2 stroke and 4 strokes, the latter gives me about 150mpg. :smile: A big plus for me with Vespa/LML is that if I fall off, it's no big deal, but fall off a plastic scooter and it'll break into many expensive pieces. If a geared scooter frightens you then they (LML) now do a 4 stroke auto (twist & go) with the same classic styling, the best of both worlds.

lml_star_125_automatic_2013-4.jpg

Last edited:

StuAff

For longer distances i have access to the family car as a named driver on the wifes insurance , the moped would only be for the commute .Its along country lanes i currently ride on my bike and through a couple of villages .
A 50 might well be OK for that then.

MarkF

Guru
[QUOTE 4065523, member: 45"]Oh, and I had a Vespa PX125 when I was a student. Good fun and looked great, and reliable. The prices for them these days though are disgusting.[/QUOTE]

Like with quality cycles or anything, residuals are strong, so are they expensive?

[QUOTE 4065539, member: 45"]I went to look at a 400 Burgman at the beginning of the year. Welsh bloke in Newport. Very friendly chap, slightly too friendly if I'm honest. He gave me the keys to have a go and I declined as I wasn't insured, so he said he'd take me out for a ride. So there's me on the back of a fast scooter with a bald rear tyre, on a dual carriageway, trying not to get too cosily close to the slightly intimidating rider. At the next set of lights he decided to show me what the acceleration was like, but didn't warn me first. It was all I could do to stay on the back.

It was a bag of nails and he wanted £1700 for it.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I paid £450 for a 250 Majesty (Ebay) and I got over 2 years out of it and sold it without it costing me a penny. Burgman/Majesty's are fantastic commuting machines, good weather protection, loads of storage, great acceleration, first time I rode one I was amazed at how good they are.

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
My son was quite into them a couple years ago...I gathered several things. ?
Several of his mates had chinese imports...a couple of them had regular issues, usually quality letting them down.
My son had an old Peugeot Speedfight 125 and while it was 14 years old (and is still going locally) 2 strokes are sprightlier, but rev high and this stresses the whole thing a bit more. I was regularly tinkering with it..but bear in mind it was 12 /13 years old at that time.
4 strokes tend to be far more reliable but a bit stodgier.

If you're mechanically minded, with a manual and internet forums you can look after them quite successfully yourself.....I had the transmission stripped on his, played with the electrics ((usually lighting etc) with no great problems.

I seriously considered one myself, A good one new is around £1800 IIRC....

MarkF

Guru
[QUOTE 4065559, member: 45"]I think so. New ones are over £3k. That's maxi-scooter money, with similar residuals.

When the boys are older and I'm not so dependent on scooters I'll be getting an old Vespa or Lambretta.[/QUOTE]

Maxi scooters don't have the residual strength of Vespa PX's. Cost more to run, lots more and parts are astronomical in comparison, I paid about £260 for a Majesty exhaust, compared to about £70. LML have given up on 2 strokes now and the PX will be finished soon for good.

The 946 is bloody expensive though, about £8.5k!
Vespa-946-Ricordo-Italiano-2013.jpg

MarkF

Guru
The Honda PCX 125 is £2250 brand new - what would I be looking for £1400?

Age/mileage?

I said £1400 because that is what a workmate had his up for sale for recently, it was 2012 with less than 3000 miles on it, pretty much mint really. I was tempted.

Top Bottom