Scooters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Was about to contact garage to look at Citreon C1, then realised I'd be shelling out £150 a month to drive something worse than what I have.

Just going to put the Picasso in the garage and get the bits and pieces fixed:wacko: Getting dizzy going round in circles!

... and continue to look at scooters :bicycle::hyper:

gavintc

Guru
[QUOTE 4067110, member: 76"]£360 for insurance on a 50cc, are you absolutely sure, that seems like a lot?[/QUOTE]
It drop massively after the 1st year. We had a scooter for 3 yrs in Italy, but NCD did not transfer. Our insurance was high in the 1st year, cant remember the cost - but >£350. This year, it was £125.

Levo-Lon

Guru
[QUOTE 4067482, member: 45"]You can get the PCX on 0% from a dealer.[/QUOTE]

free lunch and all that, i dont like HP but if its good for the buyer ,go for it..

hedder2212

Im a motorbike mechanic and have a few years experience with scooters + own and ride four scooters myself.

For your first one, stay away from chinese. A decent used KYMCO, Honda, Suzuki etc will set you back £400-£500 for a 50cc and £600-£800 for a 125cc. Unless your good with mechanical stuff, id stay away from anything below that price range, they tend to be sold my young lads who have ragged them to within a inch of their lifes and are about to get mums old citroen saxo and need the money for a big baked bean can exhaust. However if you are good with wrenches and can work your way around a simple engine, you can get some pretty good bargains. (i picked up a Honda Vision 110 for £150 a few weeks back that needed rollers and drive belt)

Insurance for your first year will be high but does drop once you have a years no claims, Ive been riding four years, I pay £120ish fully comp a year on my Kymco Agility 50, £110ish a year fully comp on my pulse scout 50, £160 a year fully comp on my ZZR400 and £180 a year fully comp on my Tiger800. I was paying £330ish a year in my first year on a 50cc and the same for a 125cc in my second year, insurance on 50s and 125s now comes up at roughly the same now ive got a few years no claims.

I say stay away from chinese bikes if your not good with mechanical stuff because they need ALOT of maintenance. They are OK for short distance commutes but thats about it. Thats what they are built for. If you want something that will last, go KYMCO or jap.

CBT is compulsory but isnt if you passed your driving test before a certain date (cant remember what it is but i think its sept 2001) however its still a good idea to go and do one, youll learn alot. Its fairly easy and takes about a day. Once you have the bug though youll want to do your full test and get on the big boy bikes and ride with the big boys :becool::laugh:

Scooters and bikes are a great and cheap way of getting around but dont forget how dangerous they can be, Get the proper training and wear the right gear, a good jacket, a good helmet (the £30 ones off ebay will do jack sh** when you crash, ask me how i know) and a good pair of gloves at the mininum.
If its going to cost the same as a small car, honestly, despite how much i love riding id say go for the car. Alot more practical, protected from the weather :cold: and alot more comfortable :rolleyes:

EDIT - Just to add, I currently have 3 chinese bikes in the workshop, one of them being a modenna, less than a year old and it already needs front wheel bearings, variator, carb, rear light housing and headstock bearings. The other two are two years old and need alot more work, one is having a section of the frame welded where its rusted away and left a hole.

Levo-Lon

Guru
They are dangerouse..i retired from motorcycles after 30 odd yr

but id do it all again..ps ive hurt myself loads doing mtb lol

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Let's be honest, anything on two wheels is dangerous, bicycles included. But riding sensibly , either with or without an engine, reading the road ahead and to the sides, going at a speed that is right for the conditions, and avoiding taking chances should give you a good chance of staying trouble free.

Brandane

Legendary Member
It might not go down well on a cycling forum, but I actually feel safer on a motorbike than I do on a bicycle. Or at least, I feel that my destiny is more in my own hands on a motorbike, rather than being far more reliant on idiot drivers having to overtake cyclists in a safe manner. I don't often get overtaken on the motorbike!

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
It might not go down well on a cycling forum, but I actually feel safer on a motorbike than I do on a bicycle. Or at least, I feel that my destiny is more in my own hands on a motorbike, rather than being far more reliant on idiot drivers having to overtake cyclists in a safe manner. I don't often get overtaken on the motorbike!
I overtake a lot of cars on my bicycle too, in slow moving traffic. I even overtook a Porsche once and he couldn't keep up with me!

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Was going to start a new thread, but really it's a continuation of my mind numbingly tedious travel deliberations!

Going to keep the car, but fancy a scooter to supplement it during the better months.

However ...

I have a road bike (cycle) and my commute is either 15 or 20 miles each way. I have realised that this is too much for me and I inevitably crumple under the strain and take the car again for weeks/months.

I was considering an alternative to supplement the normal bike that has the cheapness to run of a scooter but with some of the health benefits of a normal bike.

That's right, behold the electric bike!

I reckon I could use this most of the time and alternate with the pedal one in order to build up fitness. But I'm not sure how viable an option this is, how good electric bikes are, and where would the health benefits sit compared to a normal bike and a car.

Top Bottom