Shimano chainset upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm am looking to upgrade my chainset on my bike for something faster but its an old bike and I'm struggling to find what I would like and was wondering if anyone could help or advise me of an alternative.

I have an ultegra 6750 chainset 10 speed

Front is sg x 50f and 34f
Rear is 12t / 25t

Ideally I want
Front 52 / 36
Rear 11 / 27 (or similar)

I don't want to spend ££££ so looking for a upgraded chain set that will work with my current dérailleurs ( early di2 )

Thanks in advance

Ajax Bay

Guru
its an old bike [with] an ultegra 6750 chainset 10 speed
I don't want to spend ££££ so looking for a upgraded chain set that will work with my current dérailleurs ( early di2 )
:welcome: Rest assured in this community, your bike is not "an old bike".
You are staying 10sp. You can replace the chainrings easily with the 52-36 you want. Just make sure the BCD is the same and the number of chain ring bolts. May be cosmetic compromises.
As for cassette: buy whatever 10sp cassette you want and slide in on. If your chain is real tight (on large/large) now then you may need an extra link so just get a new chain to go with the new cassette anyway. Keep the old chain with the old cassette.

OP
OP
L

louisb1986

I love my bike! 2014 madone 7 series. Cannot justify replacing it as it would cost too much

I have been looking at shimano ultegra r8000 11 speed chainset to my replace ultegra 6750 10 speed but will it work?

Ajax Bay

Guru
It'll work but offer no mechanical advantage. You'll still have 10 sprockets to choose from. Get the 11t cassette first and see how that suits. That will give you a 9% longer gear immediately, whereas going 50t > 52t chain ring only offers a 4% higher gear (obv).

richardfm

Veteran
What is a "faster" chainset?
You go faster by pedalling faster. As @Ajax Bay said you can just change the chain rings to get a different mechanical advantage, possibly allowing you to go faster while pedalling at the same rate as you do now.
An upgraded chainset may save a few grams but that won't make you go faster.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yes, where are they selling these 'faster chainsets'? I want one.

Rather than mess with the chain rings why don't you look for a wider range cassette?

OP
OP
L

louisb1986

My front chainrings are worn and the prices I'm finding online to replace like for like are almost as much as a new chainset, I thought I would just change the whole lot and go for shorter Crank arms too, I didn't realise going from a 50t to a 52t would only give a 4% advantage, thanks for the information. I could pedal faster! But its on the decents that I just can't pedal any quicker, I recently came back from a cycling holiday where I hired a modern 12 speed bike and was really impressed with the speed I was getting from it. Thanks for your help

Good morning,
:welcome: Rest assured in this community, your bike is not "an old bike".
You are staying 10sp. You can replace the chainrings easily with the 52-36 you want. Just make sure the BCD is the same and the number of chain ring bolts. May be cosmetic compromises.,,,,,,,,,,
The 6750 chainset is one that has a highly styled outer ring.

IMG_1916.JPG
and Shimano went really odd when designing them, the 50/34 was 110BCD and the 53/39 were 130BCD.

The inner is just a "normal" ring and could easily be replaced, but the outer is only made in 50t for 110BCD and the outer is one of those designs with the "nut" glued into the outer chainring.

Stronlight do make a cosmetically similar outer, but they are hard to get hold of and it isn't clear to me that they do a 52/130BCD and they aren't much cheaper anyway.

So a 52t ring would probably have to be a very big cosmetic compromise with different pickup ramps.^_^

Altough it sounds trivial at the top end 1tooth on the cassette does make a big difference
50*27//11 = 122 52*27//11 = 127
50*27//12 = 112
50*27//13 = 103
and it is cheap.

So given that the rings are worn the OP pretty much has buy the 6800 or stay with 50t at £100 for an outer 6750, if the OP is happy with 50/11 there is a great deal here on a new 50/34 6800 with longer cranks for £140
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ulte...3oXpLsmqxAqIwgni8zTbXfbODHN9EKiRoCrF8QAvD_BwE

My big worry is that Di2 obviously has fixed throw for the front change and fixed micro adjust when changing from around the 4-5 sprocket, so fitting other rings may not work properly if they position the rings differently on the crank arm or if a different chainset is used.

Di2 is a premium product and maybe the tolerances are tighter and it was a case of to get best performance we will sacrifice mix and match.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
. I could pedal faster! But its on the decents that I just can't pedal any quicker,

That's when you freewheel. Seriously you're not racing, and a bigger chainring is unlikely to make you go quicker on the flat as wind resistantance will do for your legs at a similar speed, and a bigger inner ring is likely to hinder you uphill.
Just replace like with like, be that chain rings or full chainset and maybe get an 11-28 cassette and new chain.

Gunk

Guru
I'm am looking to upgrade my chainset on my bike for something faster but its an old bike and I'm struggling to find what I would like and was wondering if anyone could help or advise me of an alternative.

I have an ultegra 6750 chainset 10 speed

Front is sg x 50f and 34f
Rear is 12t / 25t

Ideally I want
Front 52 / 36
Rear 11 / 27 (or similar)

Thanks in advance

Both my bikes run Ultegra 6700 10 speed, built at a time when Shimano were virtually on a par with Campagnolo. Since they went 11 speed, IMO the quality wasn’t as good.

just change the cassette and chain rings instead.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
as said above if your can pedal at those speeds sign up for a contract :smile:
my default on 10 speed is 50/36 with an 11-28
at 90 rpm thats 32 mph in the fastest gear at 90 rpm and 35 at 100 rpm which is easy to do downhill ,above 30 i just tuck in unless you want more and can push the gears ?

Top Bottom