ShimanoTigra Hollow Tech Chainset.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landsurfer

Veteran
My main bike for years is a Jamis tourer. I've just bought a Jamis Elite for a reasonable sum. All my bikes are converted to single chainset and with standard square axles thats no problem ..... But the Hollow tech ? I can remove the axle with the chain rings attached, remove the rings ... BUT ...
Can i then reassemble the chainset with just the smallest ring attached .... the chain line to the block is good, almost central .... anyone got any thoughts on this conversion ..... Or can i convert the hollow tech BB to a standard square axle type ...???

T4tomo

Legendary Member
the GRX range of single chainsets are all hollow tech, but yes you could just attach a single inner ring I guess if that works for whatever chainset is on there - how are the bolts configured? quite often the inner is secured to the outer ring? also Is 34T OK or would you want something bigger?

OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
mmm ... can i convert back to a square taper axle ? I've got a new SPA Stronglight 32 tooth single chainset in my ...... " Useful stuff in the future" collection

scragend

If it's a threaded BB (rather than press fit) then you should be able to remove the BB and just screw in a square taper one instead.

Are there no small-enough chainrings for 1x available that you could get?

OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
Yes small rings are available but even with the purchase of a cassette BB i've already got the chainset.

So the next question ..... Is the Jamis Elite a press or threaded BB ?

OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
Is that on the later ones? The Tiagra on my Eastway isn't configured like that.

Agree ... there are at least 2 rows of chainset screws visible ..... but i'll remove the hollow tech if the BB is threaded. All the rings are quite worn ... and steel ....... don't like steel chainrings ...

Ajax Bay

Guru
Edited: If the OP wishes to ride with just one ring a replacement set of chainringbolts (shorter than for a compact) would be required and consider how to make sure the chain stays 'on'.
Is "Jamis Elite" a bike model? "Elite" seems to be a qualifier for Aurora or Renegade. A BSA threaded BB shell? Or maybe not ? press-fit BB386EVO and a 24mm converter. Wonder how you could tell? ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

Edited: If the OP wishes to ride with just one ring a replacement set of chainringbolts (shorter than for a compact) would be required and consider how to make sure the chain stays 'on'.
Is "Jamis Elite" a bike model? "Elite" seems to be a qualifier for Aurora or Renegade. A BSA threaded BB shell? Or maybe not ? press-fit BB386EVO. Wonder how you could tell? ;)

Either shorter chain ring bolts or use washers, with some of the fixed I've had I've used washers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom