Should a banned driver be allowed to cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Banned for drink driving. Caught whilst over the limit after being banned on a motorbike.
All the points came from being caught drinking & driving.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Yes, I think so. I know they are but your poiint seems to be asking on moral grounds and if so, I think they should.

Mr Phoebus

Of course he should be able to cycle.
When he then comes out with anecdotes about close calls with cars.
People can then say: "Yeah, and just think - chances are they were sober too."

Bigtallfatbloke

I will say that they should not because :

1) Drunk drivers are morons and if he is capable of getting into a car drunk then he is more than likely to ride a bike drunk which is bloody dangerous.

2) I want to stir up the argument a bit more

3) what will the law say to the deceased drivers family who swerved to avoid this drunken cyclist an dhit a tree or on coming bus?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
By definition, yes.

Whether putting someone immediately onto a bike after various serious misdemeanors would have good behaviour on a bike, who knows. They might learn something though.

wafflycat

Of course a person can ride a bicycle if they've been done for drunk driving - that's a motoring offence not a pedal cycle offence. By the logic of such a ban, what would you do for someone caught shoplifting? Ban them from going in a pub? Ban them from using the library? ;)

Maz

Guru
I think a drink-drive banned driver should be allowed to cycle.
If he also cycles whilst drunk, most likely he'll come off a lot worse than any motorist involved in a collision with him.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
User3143 said:
1) Granted some drink drivers are morons, but not all of them are

yes they are, by definition. they're stupid, careless, antisocial, risking other peoples life for their own convenience. they're a bunch of ****wits.

Rhythm Thief said:
Surely we've all ridden a bike after three or four beers? That's just normal, isn't it?:wacko:

of course it is normal, like walking after 4 pints. ;)

wafflycat

User3143 said:
1) Granted some drink drivers are morons, but not all of them are and usually getting banned makes them see the error of their ways.

No, they all are. It's illegal, it's selfish, it puts innocent bystanders in real danger. The effects of alcohol on the reactions/inhibitions is well-documented, and the drink-driving laws have been around long enough for them not to be sneaking up unawares on those of us who drive. It's only selfish, irresponsible twunts who drink & drive. There is no excuse.

Top Bottom