Should a banned driver be allowed to cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
Rhythm Thief said:
:blush:I once did a twenty mile ride after going out to a friend's combined stag and hen night which featured a curry (with two pints of Kingfisher), then a trip to the pub (and four or five pints of real ale), then a couple of cans back at another friend's house. I'd cycled there on my fixie, and when I got on the bike to go home I realised I was just in the mood for a spin. So I went from Wolverhampton almost to Bridgnorth and back. It was wonderful, but when I got off the bike I could barely stand up.:wacko::sad:

Blimey four or five is a good night for me,i suppose thats due to not being a regular drinker,when i say regular i mean rarely these days,but i did go all out on saturday night at our silver wedding do,and didnt realise untill i was told how much id drunk,six pints:ohmy: loads for me.:eek:

col

Legendary Member
Rhythm Thief said:
Just thought it might be worth repeating this point. No one seems to have picked up on it first time round.:eek:

It doesnt have to does it?Just the fact your banned from using public roads and your name is easily recalled on a check,much the same for drivers doesnt mean you need a licence for other forms of transport like cycles,its just included in the ban.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Yes, let's ban walking. You have to be in by 9pm. If you have permission to walk the streets and go through a police check at the end of the road you must present your ID card and "Heil Gordon" with the correct salute.

col

Legendary Member
marinyork said:
I think it is quite different though. With cars yes there are fake plates and issues about getting around it but the person is tied to the car. They may well get caught. I think in extremely serious cases cars should be confiscated or rendered inoperable.

On the bike side it is in some ways easier to ban a person. It is somewhat more practical confiscating a bike. Of course they could go and borrow another bike or buy another one but it would be a slight nuisance. It's also incredibly unpractical as to be efficient you'd have to stop pretty much all cyclists, spend ages on the police radio checking person-car-bike.

I think the main problem is one of identification of someone who might dump the bike and run,but as for checking,i think its a lottery with cars unless a particular car is spotted and checked as it belongs to a banned driver?Only to be found the wife/parner/friend is driving it?But if we didnt mind spot checks randomnly done to look for violators then it would be more effective,as if it is the banned driver cycling he is caught?It only takes a couple of minutes at most to confirm someones name and details,even as an inspector we had this basic ability when someone was using a forged pass,but the police have loads more info available to them.I think it could work if people knew that spot checks are going to happen,but then some would say its a violation of human rights,which could stop this being as effective as it might be?

col

Legendary Member
marinyork said:
Yes, let's ban walking. You have to be in by 9pm. If you have permission to walk the streets and go through a police check at the end of the road you must present your ID card and "Heil Gordon" with the correct salute.

Ok;)

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
col said:
I think the main problem is one of identification of someone who might dump the bike and run,but as for checking,i think its a lottery with cars unless a particular car is spotted and checked as it belongs to a banned driver?Only to be found the wife/parner/friend is driving it?But if we didnt mind spot checks randomnly done to look for violators then it would be more effective,as if it is the banned driver cycling he is caught?It only takes a couple of minutes at most to confirm someones name and details,even as an inspector we had this basic ability when someone was using a forged pass,but the police have loads more info available to them.I think it could work if people knew that spot checks are going to happen,but then some would say its a violation of human rights,which could stop this being as effective as it might be?

Nope. A lot longer than that in some cases.

Of course if a car that gets flagged up, the police are going to see who is driving it!

A cycling ban for me is wrong but also totally inpracticle. The only good point like I said is you can confiscate the bike somewhat more easily.

col

Legendary Member
marinyork said:
Nope. A lot longer than that in some cases.

It takes 2 minutes,and thats by phone,the police are in instant contact with control on their radios,trust me iv seen it used when i was doing my other job;)

Of course if a car that gets flagged up, the police are going to see who is driving it!

Im not sure what you mean with this?

A cycling ban for me is wrong but also totally inpracticle. The only good point like I said is you can confiscate the bike somewhat more easily.

I think including cycles in the ban is right but like you say the practicalities would be more difficult.Its on the road,which is where that sort shouldnt really be.With the threat of the same punishment if caught i think will deter most,but the ones that still do break their ban,there might be other ways of catching them,the id card is one possibility?But its only required to be carried if your banned,and then the police have a picture of you on the computer too.So anyone who isnt on record shouldnt have to have one,its only forced on you if you break the law and are found guilty of something?

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Aware of the licence part & the fine that can be imposed, which is why they were not put on the first post.
But looking through this & other forums we as cyclists all get tarred with the same brush. If people see someone on a bike at night, with no lights, making the road unsafe(in their eyes) don't they say we're all the same. Ie, we think that the law doesn't apply to us, cyclist.

classic33 said:
But looking through this & other forums we as cyclists all get tarred with the same brush. If people see someone on a bike at night, with no lights, making the road unsafe(in their eyes) don't they say we're all the same. Ie, we think that the law doesn't apply to us, cyclist.

The only thing you can do about that is always stop at red lights and make sure you're well lit. Even if convicted drink drivers were prevented from cycling, there'd still be plenty of pedalestrians out there.

atbman

Veteran
He should certainly be banned from walking as well. Drunken pedestrians have caused accidents.

As others have observed, if you don't need a licence to ride a bike, you can't be banned.

Top Bottom