Should I get a car again?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

About 4/5 years ago I sold my car and took up cycling everywhere. About 100 miles a week commuting and general getting about and then I started cycling more for fun to so was adding another 100 miles a week or so. Absolutely loved it come rain or shine until a few months ago when I realised how much it was taking over my life. I've lost friends, my relationship is struggling, was always very tired and getting run down. Basically I was never home either out on the bike, at work or with my horse.

So now I've cut right back on my cycling down to just the commuting. Suddenly I'm not enjoying it anymore, such a struggle to go out on my bike, just in a rush to get home not interested in going out for fun. I live a 8 mile commute from work and I'm finding it increasingly difficult to get up and leave on time, just really feels like a chore. Today for example I'm not working but I'm off to see my horse which is 8 miles, then cycling to a friend which is 4 miles, back to the horse after then home. Before I would of easily extended this made a day of it. Now I just can't be bothered seem to of lost all interest in cycling.

My boyfriend says to think about getting a car again but I'm not sure it just all seems so sudden for me to of suddenly lost interest. He says he thinks I'm probably just exhausted. Again I'm not too sure because I was doing alot more at one point and loved it.

Has anyone else got to this point and felt unsure of whether to continue cycling or to go back to driving?

Take a break. Sounds like you got a bit carried away and ended up over doing it. Have some time away from the bike then see how you feel about it.

Just a word of caution.

A 125cc will require either a full bike license or regular cbt (a day off work every three years)
But I do agree a125 is perfect for a commute, unless that commute involves motorway (which I guess @sarahale doesn't as she cycles it currently)

Plus a decent 125, like a vespa, comes with heating for the winter , if you add a weather skirt they are proper toasty.

But a 50cc is cheap, easy and a good taster for a bigger more long term solution.

A licence being the better option, as then you're safe if the government ever pull the unsupervised L-Plating.

D

Deleted member 1258

I found commuting by bike killed all the enjoyment for me. It became a chore.

I was a cycle commuter for over 30 years, rarely found it a chore, most of the time the commute was one of the highlights of the day. These days I'm retired and my cycling is mostly for leisure. With any type of cycling it possible to get carried away and end up over doing it, the usual solution is a short break and then come back refreshed

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I second the scooter/small capacity motorbike idea.

That's my intention in the new year when I have secure space. At least 600cc :smile: and split commute between bike, bike and car

sight-pin

Veteran
I'd do what @Drago suggested, after all you can get an awful lot more horses under the bonnet;)
Edit: If you go down a new car route, I'd go for a nearly new vehicle if possible, as you'll still have most of the manufacturers guarantee remaining etc.

Last edited:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
A licence being the better option, as then you're safe if the government ever pull the unsupervised L-Plating.
For sure...Just generally better too as it provides actual training and testing as opposed to just turning up...but as a short term test, to confirm viability and practicality, I see the appeal of a cbt.

After three years of £120 odd quid a time, the cbt becomes uneconomical too.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Yes I'd also suggest a license, but I would not suggest a 50cc. Far to slow to keep up with traffic IMO.
Oh I don't know. I rode a 50 up the north face if crystal palace each night...and I weigh 17 stone. It was just fine. No need to do more than 40 about town.

I gave it up for the main roads and practicality I using the scooter for other stuff (like carrying a passenger)

Went to a 1000cc bike and gave that up for a 125.

Been happy in that ever since.

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
If you drop the commute you'll still need time to keep fit. I'm finding it difficult now I've stopped cycle commuting.

This is the problem, if I start driving I'll just get unfit and spend my life sitting in traffic which does my nut.

I'll look into a scooter but the roads are busy not sure how safe one would be

Oh I don't know. I rode a 50 up the north face if crystal palace each night...and I weigh 17 stone. It was just fine. No need to do more than 40 about town.

I gave it up for the main roads and practicality I using the scooter for other stuff (like carrying a passenger)

Went to a 1000cc bike and gave that up for a 125.

Been happy in that ever since.
I had a 600cc bike - have been contemplating a 125 or 250 for pootling to work and back and shorter stuff on.

Top Bottom