Should I get a car again?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is the problem, if I start driving I'll just get unfit and spend my life sitting in traffic which does my nut.

I'll look into a scooter but the roads are busy not sure how safe one would be

Here's your answer.

IMG_3336.JPG

It's a car, it's a hovercraft, and you'll get some excersise manouvering it about.

vickster

Legendary Member
Same here - although I do have the disadvantage of no regular commute (unless you count coming downstairs)...
I don't even have to come downstairs to my office!

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I had a 600cc bike - have been contemplating a 125 or 250 for pootling to work and back and shorter stuff on.
Its a bit of a tough transition...initially.

We bikers carry a good deal of ego about our choice of transport.

I found the thing to do was separate the function from the aspiration. Which is probably why I kept hold of the big bike for so long.

Consider this...a 125 scooter cost £15 for road fund, is in the tens of pounds for annual insurance, delivers around 60mpg, is as fast through traffic as any big bike (faster in my experience) and never seems to require any maintenance, has loads of storage and heaters too.

Compare that to a 600 cc at 35mpg £hundreds in insurance and more in road fund...let alone sprockets and chains every 10,000 miles and more general maintenance .

Plus no storage or heating.

For a functional commuter, there is no question which is better.

Now fun and thrills, well a scooter is still pretty good and is probably more likely to keep you alive ...and keep your licence.

gbb

Legendary Member
....has anyone else got to this point and felt unsure of whether to continue cycling or to go back to driving?

Oh gawd yes....
My story sounds pretty much like yours, on the bike every chance I had, extending commutes just to get extra miles in, long weekend rides, push push push, minimum of 100 miles a week.
TB saw it almost completely stopped for 2 years and it took a hell of a lot to get going again and 2 years later, I still struggle.
That said, once I get out, I still enjoy it immensely, just nowhere near as fit as I was...much of my current malaise I think is a general unhappiness and tiredness because of work...so there is hope for you :okay:. Just accept you can't feel like superwoman all the time, ride the bike how you feel...if that means steady...then ride steady and enjoy it for what it is.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I'll look into a scooter but the roads are busy not sure how safe one would be

your cycle commuting puts you in a really good position to objectively judge this. Take it easy, don't ride like an idiot and you will enjoy the same chances of an incident as a good cyclist.

How many times have folk told you that cycling in the rush hour must be really dangerous.

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
your cycle commuting puts you in a really good position to objectively judge this. Take it easy, don't ride like an idiot and you will enjoy the same chances of an incident as a good cyclist.

How many times have folk told you that cycling in the rush hour must be really dangerous.

Well there's one particular right turn which involves getting across to a feeder lane on a blind bend which I always find a bit hairy on my bike, but I'm fine so long as I make a clear decision of when I'm moving across, if I dither that's when a car gets a bit stuck or confused and I run out of time to get across.

But that's all that I would be majorly concerned about. In the mornings I leave well before rush hour but afternoons would hit it so the journey would be spent sat in traffic and take me far longer than on my bike (due to cycle lanes)

Lots to think about will discuss with my dad who used a moped for many years to commute to Heathrow.

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
Mix up cycling and driving? Doesn't have to be one or the other does it?

I am a lazy bean. Once the car option is there I will use it.

But maybe that is good because I can then use the bike for fun. It's hard to know because when I drove before I didn't cycle.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I think a small scooter would be ideal. I commute in London on a bike and there's always plenty of traffic, but the scooters are always a whole load faster than the cyclists, and the cars. It looks fun too. Quite a lot of them, the pizza delivery mob and Deliveroo, are utter nutters, but that's not compulsory.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
What were you doing to the poor bike?!! :ohmy:
I used to reckon on mid 50's quite easily, sometimes 60 ish, on the Fazer 600 I had, same with a CBF 600. Didn't seem to make much difference whether I was pootling, or being slightly more "enthusiastic". :whistle:
Unfortunately my triumph was a dog for economy, it may be the triple engine but when I looked at a vfr, the reported mpg (which at the time was near on impossible to find) was in the late 30's.as well

The NCR was launched with a well publicised MPG up in the 70's so I guess Honda gave caught onto the fact that not all riders want fuel guzzling thrills...the cbfs and even the dullville were better at the time but not as good as the scooter.

The new triumph twins are pushing 60mog now.

Crazy that a two wheeled vehicle, with a relatively tiny engine, was less economical than my seven seater 2.0 ltr people carrier.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Well there's one particular right turn which involves getting across to a feeder lane on a blind bend which I always find a bit hairy on my bike, but I'm fine so long as I make a clear decision of when I'm moving across, if I dither that's when a car gets a bit stuck or confused and I run out of time to get across.

But that's all that I would be majorly concerned about. In the mornings I leave well before rush hour but afternoons would hit it so the journey would be spent sat in traffic and take me far longer than on my bike (due to cycle lanes)

Lots to think about will discuss with my dad who used a moped for many years to commute to Heathrow.
Your Dad will definitely be able to advise. You are right about cycle lanes but keep in mind that most bus lane's allow motorbikes. Also, from my experience, its incredible rare for me to sit in traffic on the scooter...it has to be gridlock...like an incident has occurred... you are nearly always making progress. The challenge is not to let yourself get carried away and to just take it easy.

For me a huge benefit is the time, bo matter what the conditions, time of year or congestion...my commute always takes between 25 and 35 minutes. In a car that can be 1 to 2 hours....the longest I have had was 5 hours in the snow....for 12 miles!!!

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
Well this morning was a struggle yet again what with a detour to the dentist and a nice strong headwind I was exhausted by the time I got to work.

Perhaps I should visit the docs as I'm talking dizzy and heavy body exhausted. I don't remember feeling like this when I was doing 250 miles a week. Just had 2 days off shouldn't be so tired in all honesty

Top Bottom